Thread: Need some adhesive advice

Need some adhesive advice

We have a very nice one year old tea kettle that sees a lot of use and is definitely a keeper.

The kettle itself has a stub on the top with a threaded hole through it.

The seat of the handle fit's over it and there's a small screw that secures this connection.

Lately, that screw loosens up on it's own, I tighten it, and two days later it's loose again.

Would like to throw some basic five minute epoxy on it - which might mean that I either fix it forever or will never be able to retighten it if it doesn't work. I'm worried that the heat and steam from use will have a bad effect on such a remedy.

It's a metal kettle - but have no idea if it's aluminium, cobalt, titanium, molybdenum, cold rolled steel, pot metal, or what not.

Is there a better product?
    Only the Blue Roads

Well, you could always boil down some Moxie, then coat the screw with it, let it set up then give it a try. If your tea starts to taste like Moxie then it is obvious that this fix failed. Otherwise I would recommend you try Lock Tite, or solder.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Try JB Weld, it's a 2 part epoxy with actual metal in it, made to take heat.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Loctite 620 should do the trick. Good to about 450degs and fills small gap well. Red bottle. Hitch up the wagon and get yourself to the local auto parts place.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks guys. Jest as soon as Elmer is done pullin' the harrow thru the back 40, we'll git on down to the genr'l stoah.
    Only the Blue Roads

Before I went the epoxy or Loctite route, all of which are relatively permanent fixes, think I would try a dab of silicone glue/sealant, first. Just in case you ever want to take it apart on purpose. Many epoxys start to soften up around 200° so my choice would be the high temp Loctite for a long term fix although that stuff may be a little hard to find??

Added note: My package of JB Weld says it is good for temps up to 600°!! It will probably be easier to find than Loctite and have more uses around the average household than Loctite.
    Last edited by Randy Meijer; 08-22-2006 at 3:40 AM.

Second for the high temp stuff.

Any way to replace it with a bolt or just put a lock washer under the existing screw (spring type- like a washer but cut through in one place and bent slightly)?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion