Thread: Know your Roundup

Angry Know your Roundup

I've been buying Roundup for years. It hasn't been really good on broad leaf or vines for some time. I've been adding Brush B Gone to the brew and, it really does a job on what grows. However, my last application of Roundup was very dissapointing. The grass and weeds arn't dying like before. Well, wouldn't you know it? The marketing genius put the monkey wrench in the gears. I used to buy the Roundup concentrate @ about $80 a 1/2 gallon. But it has changed. Now when you buy it, you better check the color of the cap and the terminology. The red cap is "concentrate". It may kill diddly. It's now the middle of the road product. Purple cap is "super concentrate" and will kill diddly squat. The gallon "jug" is 'Pro Formula". It better kill everything and diddly squat. I think anything below the concentrate you can drink. These bozos add water to the product and cut the price so us numbskulls think we're gettin a bargain. I'm writting a letter of disapproval of their strategy. Meanwhile, better know your Roundup.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Talking

Phil, what is so bad about this "diddly" weed that you want to kill it with such a passion?

Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Phil, what is so bad about this "diddly" weed that you want to kill it with such a passion?

Phil,

I have that same weed in my yard. Let me know if the "Pro" stuff works.

Joe

Well Phil.......I know diddly AND diddly-squat......and I also know whats-it as well......If I used roundup to kill both diddly and diddly-squat my yard would look exactly like dirt !!!!! I do have some "real" grass in my yard but with 3 acres to mow, the weeds along with diddly and diddly-squat have taken over and I just mow them as needed.

Another easy solution to your problem is to mix up your roundup as usual in a 3 gallon pump type sprayer, add 1 box of table salt, mix thoroughly and start spraying. Kills'em dead every time.

Now....back to walking over to the shop and see how much of diddly and diddly-squat I see on my way.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    em is to mix up your roundup as usual in a 3 gallon pump type sprayer, add 1 box of table salt, mix thoroughly and start spraying. Kills'em dead every time.

Now....back to walking over to the shop and see how much of diddly and diddly-squat I see on my way.
    Well, I'm no "kemest" Or spellur!!! So what duz the salt do??? I know you can lay down amonimun sulphate and, whatever is growing, aint no more. But since the EPA got involved many years ago, products that work are no longer available to the general public. And, that goes for finishing and paint products, as well. That's why I was confused when Kevin Gertsy said he used Roundup and it killed the poison ivy. I thought the "concentrate" was what I had been using. I suppose he had the super dooper, whammy mammy, Roundup. I didn't realize they had so many watered down strengths available. So the brew today will be, Roundup-Brush B Gone-detergent- salt, and a partridge in a.........
    Thanks.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I have never added Sodium to any Herbicide, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work...............there aren't many plants that are salt tolerant, especially with a concentrated dose. The main selling point of Roundup, or any Glyphosate Based Herbicide for that matter, is that the product has no carry over in the soil. Actually, Roundup is formulated so that is neutralizes when it comes in contact with the soil. Salt, on the other hand, has a pretty stubborn soil activity rate. It takes a while for the salt that is "tied up" in the soil to leach out. If you aren't planting anything in the affected area for a while, it should be no problem. Adding some detergent to the spray is a good idea. It acts as a Surfactant..........which basically means that it makes the water "wetter". It reduces the surface tension, and allows the chemical to stick to the foliage, therefor enhancing the absorbtion rate. Good luck with the Ivy Phil.............it really is not that difficult to eradicate, actually I have found it quite easy to kill compared to some other weeds.

Agway

Phil,

Try agway or another agriculture supply store for different brands that have a higher concentration of the active chemical than round up. The bottle I got not only had more active ingerdiant but was several dollars cheaper. It even killed Multi Flors Rose! A plant that is now illeagle to bring into the state, but thanke to the wonderful game commission there is no need the whole state is polluted with it! Plant it for fencing they said! Horse high nad hog thick they said. They forgot to mention that it spreads like wild fire and is almost impossible to kill.

Sorry for the rant.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I like rants....... I'm good at it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Phil,

Try agway or another agriculture supply store for different brands that have a higher concentration of the active chemical than round up. The bottle I got not only had more active ingerdiant but was several dollars cheaper. It even killed Multi Flors Rose! A plant that is now illeagle to bring into the state, but thanke to the wonderful game commission there is no need the whole state is polluted with it! Plant it for fencing they said! Horse high nad hog thick they said. They forgot to mention that it spreads like wild fire and is almost impossible to kill.

Sorry for the rant.
    I think they said the same thing about johnsongrass
    Phil in Big D