Thread: Shiny Gloat!

Shiny Gloat!

I made the pilgrimage to the Woodcraft Store in St. Louis today to pick up my Beall Buffing System. I took it to a few Bowls right after I got home, and WOW does that do the job! I was very impressed with the results, to say the least. While I agree the shine is not for everything, it sure made some of my turnings look nice. I guess until the wheels get broke in a little, there will be some lint discharged from the various wheels? Between my hair, shirt and pants, I had enough lint to weave a scarf! I won't even go into what I blew out of my nose! Another good purchase recommended by my fellow "Creeksters". Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    I made the pilgrimage to the Woodcraft Store in St. Louis today to pick up my Beall Buffing System. I took it to a few Bowls right after I got home, and WOW does that do the job! I was very impressed with the results, to say the least. While I agree the shine is not for everything, it sure made some of my turnings look nice. I guess until the wheels get broke in a little, there will be some lint discharged from the various wheels? Between my hair, shirt and pants, I had enough lint to weave a scarf! I won't even go into what I blew out of my nose! Another good purchase recommended by my fellow "Creeksters". Thanks again!
    Kevin, I hate to say it but that lint thing never seems to completely go away. Be careful and hold your work tight and don't be to agressive. I have gotten careless a couple of times and had my turning taken from my hands and slammed to the floor. Man, I hate it when that happens.

John

[
    It'll get better but will never stop compleatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    I made the pilgrimage to the Woodcraft Store in St. Louis today to pick up my Beall Buffing System. I took it to a few Bowls right after I got home, and WOW does that do the job! I was very impressed with the results, to say the least.
    Kevin,

Getting the Beall is definitely worth the time & gas. Now I want pic's of your SHINY turnings! BTW, what speed did you use on your lathe? I used the mid-speed on mine. Is there a recommended speed to use?

Joe

Joe, I think there was some mention in the instructions about use with the Beall System on a 1750 rpm motor? I used the second speed from the slowest on my Lathe, and it seemed to be just about right. It did the job, and the work was easy to control. I would think that too fast would add excess heat, which is not necessary. Heck, even on that speed it still throws lint and compound all over the place..........I'm not sure I want to see what it does at a faster speed. I've heard of Cotton Mouth before, but now I know what Cotton Nose it like!