Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know what this moulding planes purpose was ?

Anybody know what this moulding planes purpose was ?

Hello, I'm bit of a moulding plane nut. Which means, I should probably go and buy a book on it....

but till then I was hoping someone could enlighten me on this moulding plane I picked up at the markets.

I sharpened it and ripped out its profile on a bit of scrap.

I know it looks to be a pretty simple design, and what it was used for is probably staring me in the face....but its got me scratching my head a little.

I'm thinking, its not a regular bead plane, cause its got a flat extending from the edge to the start of the bead.

...thinking, it could be for beaded T&G joints for wall paneling or the like, but then the quirk seems too wide. ...and the tongue bit too.

So, where was this profile used......and ultimately how can I use it ! ,, if it all.

Appreciate any thoughts. Ta.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jake Darvall; 08-25-2006 at 6:03 AM.

The bead looks similar to the bead on some wainscoting which was on the groove side.

And the corners of the framing timbers in old churches etc, were sometimes beaded or chamfered for looks and also to remove any sharp corners that would catch fire easily if a fire occured.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    The bead looks similar to the bead on some wainscoting which was on the groove side.

And the corners of the framing timbers in old churches etc, were sometimes beaded or chamfered for looks and also to remove any sharp corners that would catch fire easily if a fire occured.
    Ta Harry.....but whats 'wainscoting' ? ..... a silly question I suppose.

I don't go to church very often either...... take your word for it.

Like to try and use it somehow in a pleasing way oneday..... visualising exactly how seems to be the hard part right now.

Anyway, thanks mate.

Jake,
    It's called an astragal. It is nothing more than a raised bead offset from the edge. They are somewhat harder to find than many simple profiles, and quite versatile. Congrats and good find.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Ta Steve, Astragal..........( astra- gal <- yes ?... like shes my 'gal' ) I write that on the plane.

Have you ever had any use for one ?

Trying to work out a pleasing way of using. Like to see a picture of a piece of furniture where its been used I suppose .

You handy with a moulding plane I guess ? seem to be few and far between Steve.

Jake,

I have 4 or 5 of them. More usefull to cabinetmakers in the smaller sizes. I've used one many time, there is a picture in this link of a use to decorate the edge of a shelf. The picture is at the bottom of the first page, not the first post.

astragal usage.

Up here it's also used in carpentry to cover the gap between two doors or windows, as well as junctions and seams between panels or different materials (wood-plaster for ex.). It's quite a versatile moulding.

8. Hey Jake--I cannot recommend John Whelan's book The Wooden Plane, Its history, Form, and Function enough. In fact, I have your addy--be watching your mail [well, wait a few weeks then start watching <g>].

It would be enough reading and reference material to make you want to hunt down a lot of profiles--but know what they are and how they are used.

The astragal and soft astragal I have used for edging, like Steve did on that excellent bow-front cabinet's shelving. As well, a double astragal was often used, but I haven't hunted down a small enough one for the size of cabinets I make and instead cheated and used a side bead on each front edge to simulate it--the quirk ends up being larger than a true double astragal. So one day I'll probably just make one.

Take care, Mike

I will echo the importance of the Whelan book. If you're looking to get into moulding planes I think that is necessary to understand what you're buying. Just remember... while complex moulders are often more expensive, and more collectible, they are much, and I mean much, harder to sharpen. I try to keep it simple and use sidebeads, center beads, astragals, and reeding planes when I can. They are much easier to sharpen than a complex moulder. Congrats on the nice plane. You can use turner's tape and a thin scrap of wood on the fence of the plane to center it if you ever need to.

Thanks Mike...... but what do you mean by 'addy' and '<g>'....not sure what you mean.

double astragal ! .....I'll definetly have to get that book.

Thanks Frank....I haven't notice the astragal used around here yet. I'll have to look harder.

Thankyou too Steve.... pictures always clears it for me. So, with that shelf where you used the astragal, you mustn't have employed the depth stop ,,yes ? ....just did it by eye....planed to a line each end of the stock maybe ?

Lovely cabinet by the way. Better than I've ever done.

I took some photos today of some of my moulding planes and scribbled all over them with a paint program to try and make sense. Love to hear your thoughts, ideas. Maybe confirm some of my thoughts.

Some of the planes I have, I haven't even bothered learning their real names. A bit embarrising when someone asks me a question I'd say. About time I learn their names.

Ta.

another....

goodnight. I gotta sleep.

12. Addy = Address
    <g> = grin

The rest means a copy of the book is on its way to you...Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Addy = Address
    <g> = grin

The rest means a copy of the book is on its way to you...Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike. very generous. Please don't hesitate should you think of a way I can return the favour.

14. Just continue your wonderful sharing spirit, Jake.

This was an extra copy, and is but a small token of appreciation. I have not thought of a better person to forward it to.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Just continue your wonderful sharing spirit, Jake.

Take care, Mike
    ok and thanks. But, I think I rave a bit too much though. Ask too many questions maybe. I've noticed things can go a little quiet after I throw up pictures.
    Anyway, thanks again for the book. Looking forward to it. Are there any planes or a particular tool you'd like to have, but yet find ? .... I could keep an eye out for you. I'm an early bird at markets you see. Just yell eh.

There seems to be more people into moulding planes here than I've noticed in other forums. Looking forward to seeing more pieces made with them, like that one of Steve's. I have much to learn here I think.

Guessing, there's more stanley 55 fans about here too ?..... Apparently we just use them as doorstops in Australia. Generally, things tend to go quiet as well when I mention the name......I'm always looking for a good chin wag you see.

Have a good week Mike.