Thread: More Salvaged Wood Scraps

More Salvaged Wood Scraps

Some more salvaged dunage wood.

Not very purty but it works.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

That's really kewel, Harry! Can you provide some more pictures from other angles? It's quite interesting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excellent !

That's great Harry. I'd also like to see pix from more aspects. I like the idler pulley idea very much. Is it spring loaded for constant tension or just gravity? I like your choice of wood as well-one of my favorites-FREE! It's kind of sad we throw so much of it away. I've been thinking of building one of these someday.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

more lathe pics

Jeez, you fellas been talking to Tyler on the sly.

Here goes,

This is a picture of the drive system, I still have to iron the flywheel for extra weight which will give me more momentum. The rope is attached to the original spring pole that is now underneath and hooked to the treadle as a substiture for a counter balance. The belt tightner is just held in place by friction from the attaching bolt.

A view of the headstock, the plugs on top are in copper tubing that goes down to the brass bearings. The idler under the driven pulley is to get more belt wrap and also to make the belt clear the spacer under it.

The driver is just a peice of shaft milled to shape, with 5/8 fine internal threads to attach it to the shaft, the brass plate screwed to the headstock is a bearing surface for the ball thrust bearing between the headstock and the driver.

The spring pole, treadle and stretcher and racking brace.

The wood is all oak dunnage I salvaged from steel delivery orders.

All the joints are either mortice and tenon or bolted.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Excellent Harry! My wife mentioned in the near future I could get a new and bigger lathe. I hope she doesnt' see this one........She'll say...."you could turn and lose weight too!"..........Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Harry,

I sit here in utter awe..... that thing is amazing! I absolutely love it. Where do you find these treasures?

Great stuff Jr ! If I send you some dunnage will you make one for me ??

Just kidding, pal. I've seen springpole lathes and I've seen treadle lathes, but I've never seen one that had both. Is this a Strasil original ? Pretty durn nice.

Take care,
    IG

That didn't come out quite as planned. All springpole lathes work with a treadle, but yours has a treadle AND a flywheel. That makes it unique in my experience.

IG

well originally it started out as a portable table model spring pole lathe only. It didn't work to my satisfaction, so it grew legs and flywheel to operate the spring pole. That didn't work to my satisfaction either so it got converted to the spring pole rope operating a pulley that turned the headstock. That small flywheel is laying at the end of the first picture. It didn't work to my satisfaction either so this is the final modification, other than ironing the flywheel yet.
    Jr.

Very nicely done, Harry.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    ...That small flywheel is laying at the end of the first picture. It didn't work to my satisfaction either so this is the final modification, other than ironing the flywheel yet.
    Heck, I just thought the other wheel in the background was part of the variable speed control.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Heck, I just thought the other wheel in the background was part of the variable speed control.
    Nah, that's what the giant mallet is for. If the turner gets pedallin' too fast, the assistant klonks him with the mallet!

Nice job on that lathe. I've wanted to make a treadle lathe for some time, and this may be the inspiration!

-Joe

Harry, that's a nice, sturdy looking lathe you have there. I was wondering: Did you thread the inside of the spur center yourself, or is it commercially available?

I had at one point considered making a treadle lathe, and may yet manage to get the motivation to build one.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Yes, I threaded it myself Henry, its not a problem in a metal lathe.
    Jr.

Thanks!!

Outstanding Harry, thanks very much for the extra photos and info. Hope you are finally satisfied with this version! I'd love to give that beast a ride sometime. Not sure if I am coordinated enough tho .
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Great job, Harry. I have the "plans" for Roy Underhill's spring pole lathe that I plan to make sometime. Probably a winter project. Biggest problem for me is the metal parts.