Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor man's finishing "room"

Jim, my Apollo 1000 is a bleeder-type of HVLP gun...i.e. it spouts air 100% of the time, trigger pulled or not. The Apollo 1000 is also a turbine fed (4-stage) gun...not air-compressor.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I sprayed some dark blue target lacquer. I agree that most of the mess is just dust. It got spread all over my shop from my temporary booth. I actually had to mop the shop floor

Jay
    Jay,

Were you using a conventional gun or a HVLP gun?

I beg to differ a bit with the majority of the posters here. I think some sort of a 'spray booth' is necessary. It could be as simple as 4 sheets of foam, providing sides, a top and a front, and set up in front of your garage doors with a box fan, pulling air through a cheap filter. This is the only way I know of to keep down the dust, keep it off your tools, floor, etc.

Do a search for "Another spray booth idea." It has some pictures of my booth. It's a permanent set up, with folding plywood walls, so it folds out of the way when not needed.

I just finished 16 doors last week, spraying almost 3 gallons of Target coatings finishes (sealers and top coats). I went through two filters, but had little or no overspray/cleanup.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Alan,

Thanks for the input. I am having a little trouble finding your pictures. Is there a chance that you could post a direct link?

Thanks! Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Jay,

Were you using a conventional gun or a HVLP gun?
    Uhhh, guess I never saw this response. I use an HVLP conversion gun.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

spraying insides of boxes

I try to prefinish the insides of cabines sides and bottoms, with appropriate masking, and also to spray without the back installed where possible. The overspray can go straight through. Someone recently posted some photos of a knockdown booth made from 3/4 inch insulating foam product held together with velcro and duct tape. That sounds like the way to go for this type of setup, longlasting, light and inexpensive. I have this setup as an auxillary garage and spray area.hc1020-ss.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bill walton
    ... Someone recently posted some photos of a knockdown booth made from 3/4 inch insulating foam product held together with velcro and duct tape. That sounds like the way to go for this type of setup, longlasting, light and inexpensive...
    I admit it: I am the one who did it with the 3/4-inch insulating foam product:

The relevant post is here.

Due to concerns with the dry overspray, I installed an explosion-proof motor. However, many people don't go this far when spraying water borne finishing materials.

Enjoy!

Al

...Is there a chance that you could post a direct link?
    Allen,

I believe it is this link. It is a VERY good solution.

I found it by searching for all his posts. Enjoy!

Al

Thanks for taking the time to look that up Al!!!

I liked your solution but was just taking my time trying to get it right for me. I think that is impossible as I would like a booth that completely disappears and takes up no space when I am not using it.

I guess that what I want is some type of energy field that turns on with a flick of the finger and prevents the excape of overspray except over a predetermined path. Seems to be a tall order.

Thanks again!

Allen

...as I would like a booth that completely disappears and takes up no space when I am not using it...
    I think you CAN do it, Allen.

I believe that Jeff Jewitt (or maybe it was someone else???) used a narrow window fan behind a setup similar to mine, exhausting through an open window. I believe you could use a setup similar to mine, but with a very narrow window fan unit it would compress the entire setup dramatically.

PLUS, making the entire booth of the lightweight foam insulation will definitely make it a lot simpler to break down and simply store in a corner in the shop, or in the rafters in the garage, etc.

I look forward to seeing the solution you ultimately come up with, Allen.

Best of luck,

Al

Here's a link to the pictures I've posted earlier. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29648
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

This is a shot of my temporary booth. It worked pretty well shooting all the blue paint except where my plastic floor and wall met and I didn't do a very good job tucking in. There are some blue stripes on the floor and back wall.
    Jay St. Peter