Thread: A bit OT... Need Help

A bit OT... Need Help

I recently retired from the Navy after 25 years. I have been searching for a job in the WW industry. I had several offers and decided to go with a local architectural millwork firm. The pay was decent and my job was going to be working on the floor and moving up to a possible lead or PM position. However 2 days ago I received an offer for more money and possibly more responsibility in the long run.
    Here is my problem. How do I go to the other company and tell them I will not be coming to work for them.
    Need some advice. No experience on how to handle this type of situation. I do feel I should do it in person and not on the phone. Question is how and what to say without burining bridges
    Greg

Things I'd consider would include

your relationship with management
    pay
    whether you want management position or not
    inurance
    other benefits
    Corporate history & how solid the company looks
    stats on personell turn over

There are other questions such as what might you want to be doing in a few years withyour personal life and how might either of the positions facilitate or interfere.

If it were me, I'd just tell them another place is offering more money and more promotion potential. You might be able to get the same offer at both places. But, "promotion potential" is not very clear-cut, and could be an empty promise if they decide they don't like you as much after all.

Which place would you rather work at if money and promotion were not an issue? Happiness might be more important long-term, especially if you end up with the same salary and position after a few years at either place.

Face to Face

Greg: I spent 30 years in Management and as a General Manager for a Fortune 500 Company. I think your idea of seeing them in person is excellent and should be done. Do it as soon as possible since they will need to find someone else. Simply state your situation and your decision. Thank them for their belief in you and then move on.

I also think you should take into account the details of both positions, insurance location etc. But! Having said that, what do you want to do? I can't tell you how many jobs I worked and how many times I moved my wife and 4 kids (6), just trying to make more money to support them. You seem to be in a position where you can pick and chose. If this is the case, take the one you will enjoy the most.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Been there

Hey Greg,
    I've been on both sides of that as a prospective employee and as a manager. The advice above is right on. Any reasonable manager is going to understand that you have to do what is best for you and your family. Just say it that way, no need to be critical of anyone. But do it soon!
    Jess

Greg, I agree with the others. Going in person to tell that you had several application/resumes' out may help. The timelyness is important. You could describe that the position coming in was coincedent with the one you're turning down. In the end it's what you want to do. Good Luck
    Personally after 35 years in my business, I'd love to slow down and geta ww related position!
    Mike
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!

Money, benefits, location and employee relationships do make a differance. Do the people like you and want to work with you.

I got laid off from my construction job Tuesday. I went and talked to a contractor yesterday, Wednesday, met 2 of the men working there. One was not happy that the company was thinking about hiring me, felt threatened. I am 52 YO and he is 30sh. I went and talked to the boss this morning and told him I was not going to take the job, I DIDN"T want to cause trouble in the company. The boss said that he will replace the man shortly after I go to work there. I start in the AM, Friday. I don't argue about money, benfits and if the people don't like me--------------------------- TUFF!!!!!!!!!!! Location doesn't make a difference to a construction worker.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Ok

Good advice above. With 35 years of recruiting,hiring, selection experience, I'd say your situation is not unusual. Be truthful and be sure to stress you interviewed for the "other" job before this offer was made to you by either. You'll be fine. They'll understand. They might even counter offer
    Jerry