Thread: Belt Sander Choices

Belt Sander Choices

One of the the tools that I don't have at least a cheapie version of is a belt sander. There have only been a few times so far that I could see where using one would have been very useful. Like refinnishing a flat hallway door awhile back. I used a ROS and it took along time. I've got some outdoor projects comming up and I could see a use again there. I don't mind spending money on good tools but do I really need to spend $150 + for weekend warrior work? Looking for practical opinions first.

I have had a few and the Bosch 3x21 is really well designed.

Last edited by Mark Singer; 08-25-2006 at 11:52 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have the Dewalt 3X21.

DW433_1.gif

EDIT: I'm comparing this one to a Craftsman I used to have. The Dewalt has less vibration, is quieter, and is ergonomically better.
    Last edited by John Kain; 08-25-2006 at 12:24 PM.

I have the Bosch 3x21 as well. As Mark says, it is well designed, light but still takes down stock with the best of them. The ONLY thing I HATE about this unit it the noise - it's a screamer. I don't know if I got the pig of the lot, but hearing protection is a must - the sound is piercing. Other than that it has worked great.

FWIW,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    I have the Bosch 3x21 as well. As Mark says, it is well designed, light but still takes down stock with the best of them. The ONLY thing I HATE about this unit it the noise - it's a screamer. I don't know if I got the pig of the lot, but hearing protection is a must - the sound is piercing. Other than that it has worked great.

FWIW,
    Wes
    That sound level does seem odd. These machines usually have a "soft roar", but nothing that I've needed ear protection for.......

I also have the Bosch 3" x 21" belt sander. VERY rarely use it, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From the IWF show, PC is coming out with a new new 5 lb, one hand operation VERY NICE belt sander. Looks to be about a 3 - 3 1/2" belt.

You can really hold on to it with one hand and feel like you have control.

The young man doing the demo was the product manager that has worked for two years to develop this new product. Needless to say he was very proud and happy to see the good reaction to those who were testing it.

It is going to be about $125 and should be out in the October time frame.
    Last edited by Bartee Lamar; 08-26-2006 at 10:39 AM.
    Bartee Lamar

I also have the Bosch 3x21

I also have the Bosch 3x21, have had it for 5-6 years and like it a lot. The design allows you to lay it flat on the bench and use it as a stationary belt sander if you don't have one (I don't).

It also has some nice accessories such as a stand w/ clamps, a fence and a sanding frame.

I have the stand and the fence, they come in pretty handy. The frame is pretty expensive and I haven't needed it as of yet. It allows you to sand down (essentially level or flatten) a panel, somewhat roughly of course.

-Linc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lincoln Myers; 08-25-2006 at 5:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    I have the Dewalt 3X21.
    Me 2 ........ remove dust collector, a couple misc fittings & shop vac makes for decent dust collection.
    BUT, like Jim I don't find much use for it ............
    Tony

I've got a 3x21 PC belt sander but really don't use it much.

I mostly pick up the PC 6" right angle random orbit sander for most everything. The dust collection when hooked up to my Fein vacuum is close to 100%. I also have a Bosch 5" palm sander that is also hooked up to my vac that workes as good as any festool I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    That sound level does seem odd. These machines usually have a "soft roar", but nothing that I've needed ear protection for.......
    Could be a bad apple. I've had it for 8-10 years and it's had a high pitch "scream" from the start. It's the only thing I don't care for.

Wes

I just bought the RIDGID heavy duty 3x21 a few days ago, to replace a PC 3x21. I've always hated the PC, and finally got tired of messing with the switch. I looked hard at the Bosch display model, but they didn't have one in the box...so I figured as often as I use one, the RIDGID will be fine. I think it was $169 or 179.

KC