Thread: Wood Source for Denver/Boulder Colorado

Wood Source for Denver/Boulder Colorado

Does anyone have a good source for project wood in the Denver area? I was just at the south denver woodcraft and they did not have very much in stock. They can order it, but if i have to do that, why not order online? Looking for maple, cherry, oak etc.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob,

It's not Denver or Boulder, but there is a store in Colorado Springs called CO Lumber Specialties that has a wide selection. They don't have a website, but you can call them at (719) 389-0100. Compared to Woodcraft, Rockler, or other stores I've been to the prices seem reasonable. They carry hardwoods / softwoods in various thicknesses, hardwood plywoods, veneers, as well as moldings and unfinished furniture. I'm not too impressed with the furniture, but the raw stock is there to make your own! I have a sheet with their species and thicknesses if you're looking for something specific.

Maple (hard, soft, or figured) may come in 4/4, 5/4, or 8/4. Cherry is 4/4, 6/4, and 8/4. They have Red and White Oak in 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, or 8/4 and quarter sawn White Oak in 4/4.
    Jeremy Gibson

Rob,

In Longmont, there is a store Diverse Hardwoods (1st & Main)

In Denver you can check out Frank Paxton (just off of Colorado blvd just N of I-70) http://www.paxtonwood.com/denver.html

Diverse Hardwoods does not have as wide a selection but they can also mill stock for you if you need it.

Rob,

Check out Centennial Lumber. Excellent stock! Good prices, way better than Woodcraft, Austin, or Paxton. Take the broadway exit, east: - 985 S Logan St, Denver, 80209. Google them for a phone number and map. I once stopped by for some BB, but they were out. So, they bought me a sheet from Austin, and sold it to me for less than it cost them from Austin! Talk about customer service!

Also, there is a guy that advertises domestic hardwoods in the Denver Post, in the building materials in classifieds. He is out by Watkins.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Scott Parks; 08-27-2006 at 12:03 AM.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

I'd second Diverse Hardwoods - guy who runs it was very patient and helpful when I first started getting rough lumber. It's a small operation, so prices aren't quite as good as you see on the internet sites, and the selection is not huge (usually poplar, oak, cherry, walnut, maple, and lyptus - they also have bb playwood, and hardwood plywoods), but you get a lot of personal service. It's a pretty easy trip from Boulder.

There's also a sawmill called "Old Tyme Lumber" just south of Boulder on 93 (between the concrete plan and Rocky Flats). Their sign says they have rough lumber, but I've never stopped by, so I don't know what they have.