Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new cordless drill

In the market for a new cordless drill

I wanted to get some of your opinions on cordless drills. I've had a few.. a 14.4v DeWalt XRT, a 14.4v B&D Firestorm, and then an 18v Firestorm. I've always loved the firestorm drills for the removable chuck. But lately I've been doing a lot more jobsite work and I'm in need of a strong drill with a good long lasting battery.

Now, I don't do any concrete drilling - if I do, I use a corded. In fact, all really heavy drilling i'll use a corded drill... but I assemble a lot of real simple things, such as deck boxes, picnic tables, garbage bins... stuff with a lot of screwing, and I'd like something that can easily drive 4" screws through ACQ, and last a while. In other words, i'm not looking for a cabinet drill. Long battery life is key though.

Price isn't really an object as long as it's worth it. And a good drill is definately worth it. So any opinions?

Here is a great sale on the Makita's:

go to:

All Pro Tools.com......quite a few Makita closeouts at half price or so. Sale lasts only a couple of days and they generally sell out of stuff quickly. Take a special look at their impact drivers.....which sounds like what you need.

I have bought several things from them on these sales. Recommended vendor.

John,

I have a 12 year old DeWalt 12v that is still strong enough to break screw heads and bits all day long, after being dropped many times, often from a ladder and caught in the rain and overheating while drilling in cement.

Drills straight and true, but the batteries (even replacements) are not up to the same standard as the drill.

I have 2 Panasonic 12v drills 1 and 2 years old with super battery life (literally about 3x more than DW in hours) but both have bent shafts/chucks from being dropped ONCE each (3' and 5' heights)

Next time my money goes to Bosch or Dewalt or Milwaukee (or Festool if I stop being klutzy)
    I hear the Bosch Blue core batteries are GREAT.

good luck...
    Pete

Funny you should mention the blue cores... I'm reading right now about a rebate for Bosch where they'll send you a free blue core battery when you buy a new bosch drill. I found it on the All Pro tools site that Roger mentioned. But I also found the same drill for about 50 bucks cheaper on Amazon.

The bosch is definately looking good!

You will not be disappointed with a Bosch.

Here's the one I'd buy:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...&prodid=564180

Long battery life, removeable chucks, high qulaity. And you said "price isn't really an object as long as it's worth it". Best drill around if you can handle the cost, IMHO.

Buy it from Bob Marino, a member here, for great service:

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 08-25-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I made the plunge a few weeks ago...and sometimes I go down to the basement to just play with it for awhile. ( the drill...the drill....lol) I got the 15.6 and so far I love it. ( just emotionally....lol)

Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    And you said "price isn't really an object as long as it's worth it".
    I'm sure it's a great drill.. But no I don't think it's worth it.

I like festools but they're just too damned expensive. If they lowered their prices across the board about 25%, then I'd probably own a lot of their tools. I've used them before and have been impressed with the quality, but I'll never be able to justify spending 400 on a drill.

Festool seems to like to keep their prices just over that hump of reasonability. At least that's my opinion. Cabinetmakers will probably see it differently, but as I am not a cabinetmaker, that is my opinion.

Jon... A few years ago I would be echoing your sentiments, but being an "empty-nester" and a whole different attitude, I say that you can't "take it with you". As we go thru this journey called "life" our attitudes and our priorities change. But in a few years from now, while I'm struggling to make ends meet......... Well
    Gary K.

I've had several DeWalts and was generally satisfied except for the batteries which are pretty lame. I picked up a Panasonic 15.6V around Christmas and love it. Battery life compared to the DW's is a huge improvement. The drill has tons of torque and even has a 1/2" chuck which was a bit of a surprise given it's size. Balance and weight wise it feels more like a 14V drill. I did some concrete block drilling today with an electric but drove 3" TapCon screws into those blocks with the Panasonic with no problems at all. I also ran some 3-1/2" #12 wood screws into 2-by lumber with no problems. The only thing I dont like in comparison with the DW's is the lack of integral bit storage slots like the DW's. I did pick up a stick on bit holder from McFeely's but haven't figured out yet where I want to mount it on the drill.
    Use the fence Luke

I went with two of the 12v bosch this year. Blue core batteries. Well balanced. Send in the warranty card, and they warranty the batteries for three years.

I am pretty well a dedicated PC fan, but the current drills of their's, just weren't like the older 860 series. I have two of the 9.6's for in shop use. Batteries go down quick, pita to get the batteries slid in and out of the charger.

Jon,

With all the work you are talking about doing with screws, I think a cordless impact driver might serve you better. I had the Makita 12 volt ones and recently changed to the 14.4 models to simplify my life battery wise. I've found the impact drivers are much better for driving screws - faster, lighter weight - a 12 volt impact driver has about twice the torque of an 18 volt drill, and there is no torque on the wrist with the impact drivers.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Leonard
    You will not be disappointed with a Bosch.
    Ditto,,,,,,

14. I just got an Amazon.com email about factory reconditioned DeWalt tools ... link is Here!

That's the link they sent in the email, direct from Amazon.com and not an affilliate link (in the interest of fair disclosure, I'm an affilliate for them, but don't seed my code in links without letting people know I have a vested interest at play).

I did buy my DeWalt planer reconditioned from Amazon.com, and it arrived in perfect condition. I'm leaning toward more and more reconditioned stuff for my home use, just to stretch the budget a bit.

I just bought a reconditioned Bosch 14.4 "Brute Tough" with the Blue Core. It is very heavy duty. I've been using it to drive 1/4" lag bolts and it powers right thru. The batteries are lasting a very long time before they need recharging. My only complaint is they are quite heavy. I've checked out Bosch's "Compact Tough" line, and I think in retrospect I may have been better served with that for the way I use it. I doubt I'll get the chance to buy a "Compact" though as the "Brute" appears it will last forever.

By the way, the reconditioned tools come with the same warranty. I bought from the Bosch factory site. Custormer service seems great.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.