Thread: Pictures don't display (Resolved)

Pictures don't display (Resolved)

Hello. New member here. I've notice in many of the threads I can't view posted photos. All I get is a small box with an "X" in the middle. I've never had this problem on other forums. Is there some setting on my PC I need to correct?

Thanks

Check your profile, "options" and be sure that the check box for "display images" is checked. To access your profile, click on "User CP" at the top of the page. Then click on "Edit Options" on the left menu. Scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and check the settings.

Jim

Hello Jim,
    Thanks for the reply, but it appears that all three boxes are checked in this area. Have any other ideas?

Jim,
    Here is some info that may be of help. In the Neanderthal Haven forum, in Ian Gillis' post "Wooden Saw Vise & A Frame Saw" the photos display fine. But in Jake Darvall's post "Panel Raising with a Stanley 55" none of the photos display. Is there more than one way to attach photographs?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamman
    Jim,
    Here is some info that may be of help. In the Neanderthal Haven forum, in Ian Gillis' post "Wooden Saw Vise & A Frame Saw" the photos display fine. But in Jake Darvall's post "Panel Raising with a Stanley 55" none of the photos display. Is there more than one way to attach photographs?
    Chuck, I'll bet this problem is on your end. The photos in Ian Gillis' post are uploaded to the SMC server, so they have the same URL as SMC ... you can right click the pic and look at "Properties" to see that the location of the picture on the Internet is similar to this "mangled" URL: "hptp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=xxxxxxx"

Jake's photos are posted on another server, and "imported" by your browser to display along with the text from SMC ... looking at the properties of the first one, we see something similar to this mangled version:
    hptp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/apricotripper/20m.jpg

Many of the Internet security software packages block pictures that have a different URL than the site you are visiting, thinking that they are ads that are being imported OR "tracking gifs".

If you have Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm Pro, or any other software, look in the options for different security settings. One of the easiest ways to cure the problem is to add http://www.sawmillcreek.org to your "allowed sites" list. In Norton, you would do this in Options * Web Content and add SMC, then tell it to 'permit information about visited sites'

Or, you can turn off the privacy settings entirely. In Norton Internet Security again, you can do this in Options * Privacy Control and uncheck "Enable Browser Privacy."

Frank,
    Thanks for the reply and you are absolutely correct the problem is on my end. This is my PC at work which is sitting behind a firewall. I would have sworn that I had the same problem from home, but last night I logged in and everything displayed just fine. The ITS people here work hard to keep our network clean so I'll run your suggestion by them first before adding any exceptions.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do more work and less browsing

Thanks again