Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED:Vibration issue with W/C Slow Speed Grinder

UPDATED:Vibration issue with W/C Slow Speed Grinder

The slow speed grinder from Woodcraft comes with wheels that have a 7/8" hole with bushing to fit the 5/8" arbor. Is there a balancing system that will work with these sizes? The Oneway Balancing system requires 1" holes in the wheel.

Or, is there some other issue going on that might be causing some vibration?

Any suggestions? TIA.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 08-30-2006 at 9:41 PM.

I don't know about a balancing system. But you can buy adapter arbors. I got mine at the local hardware store.

Mark - The Oneway Balancing kit worked wonders for my crummy grinder.

Here's their page about it - http://www.oneway.on.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm

In the top right corner there's a listing of the various arbor diameters they worry about and while 7/8" is not shown; I'll bet that if you call them, they'll be able to fix ya right up.

They're good people.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Mark - The Oneway Balancing kit worked wonders for my crummy grinder.

Here's their page about it - http://www.oneway.on.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm

In the top right corner there's a listing of the various arbor diameters they worry about and while 7/8" is not shown; I'll bet that if you call them, they'll be able to fix ya right up.

They're good people.
    Andy,
    I called the Oneway folks yesterday and talked with a very kind and knowlegable person who said "I'm sorry I can't sell you something." I laughed and said "you will eventually." I described my situation to her and she said there was nothing they could provide that would work with a 7/8" hole. It looks like I would have to replace my wheels to use their system--not something I want to do since these are the good a/o wheels not the crummy gray ones.

Other than replacing my wheels, my options are to use 'em till they wear out and then replace them with wheels that will accept the Oneway system, or find a system that will work (if there is one).

Any other ideas?

Mark

edit: This also has me wondering if arbor runout might be contributing to some of the vibration. I'll break it down sometime this week and check it with a dial indicator.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 08-29-2006 at 1:39 PM.

Go to a machine shop and get a bushing made to reduce the wheel hole diameter. 7/8" to 5/8" makes for a thin bushing, but it might work? Maybe?
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Go to a machine shop and get a bushing made to reduce the wheel hole diameter. 7/8" to 5/8" makes for a thin bushing, but it might work? Maybe?
    Actually, what I need is a bigger hole not smaller. I wonder if I could bore the 7/8" hole out to a 1" hole. I actually have a 1" spiral twist drill bit; the only concern is that I not shatter the grinding wheel while boring it out. Or worse yet, unknowingly produce a hairline crack that explodes when the wheel gets up to speed. I'd be a little nervous about trying such a thing.

And here's an interesting tidbit of info: I just called Woodcraft Tech Support and the gentleman there said that he knows of no balancing system that will accomodate 7/8" holes in conjunction with a 5/8" arbor.

It's really kind of comical, the situations I am capable of getting myself into. But thank you for your time, Andy. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

Mark

Have you tried running it without balancing it? Maybe you will get lucky!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Jason, I've run it enough to put an Ellsworth grind on a couple of bowl gouges and a fingernail grind on a spindle gouge, plus sharpen two skews, a parting tool, three scrapers and a "normal" grind on two other spindle gouges. Additionally, before doing any of that, and frequently during the process, I have dressed the wheels. The grind I am getting on my chisels is acceptable, but the vibration, while not severe enough to cause damage, bothers me enough that I really want to even things out and take it to the next level.
    Mark

Mark - Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that a couple of guys here have had similar issues with the same machine. I believe they solved a bunch of issues by replacing a washer/flange thingie.

You might want to rename this thread to better get their attention and subsequent insight.
    Only the Blue Roads

I have the same grinder and the same problem. One wheel was really bad and I replaced it with one I found in my shop, one made in Israel. The grinder doesn't bounce around as much, but it is still out of balance. Dressing hasn't helped.
    I think the only solution is to buy the oneway wheels and the oneway system. Maybe for Christmas.
    Joe

Mark,
    Have you thought about making your own? Can you buy a large diameter thick washer that will fit the shaft for your grinder? You could drill and tap 6-8 holes around the perimeter of the washer and use double-stick tape to connect it to the wheel. Then just put in very short screws that don't protrude to do the balancing.

Good luck,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Actually, what I need is a bigger hole not smaller. I wonder if I could bore the 7/8" hole out to a 1" hole. I actually have a 1" spiral twist drill bit; the only concern is that I not shatter the grinding wheel while boring it out. Or worse yet, unknowingly produce a hairline crack that explodes when the wheel gets up to speed. I'd be a little nervous about trying such a thing.

And here's an interesting tidbit of info: I just called Woodcraft Tech Support and the gentleman there said that he knows of no balancing system that will accomodate 7/8" holes in conjunction with a 5/8" arbor.

It's really kind of comical, the situations I am capable of getting myself into. But thank you for your time, Andy. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.

Mark
    Mark you have me really confused. Admittedly, that is not a hard thing to do. But, you say you have a wheel with a 7/8" hole that needs to go on a 5/8" arbor. My bad days are Fridays, Tuesdays I'm usually OK. So, I'm pretty sure that your 7/8" hole is already bigger than your 5/8" shaft (arbor). So, how would drilling out your 7/8" hole to an even bigger 1" hole help you? Befuddled minds would like to know. I'll risk sounding like a know-it-all, but will repeat. Arbor adapter kits are available. Mine cost about $2.00 at a local hardware store. There are several adapters in the kit. They are made of nylon. Easy slip on. Problem solved. BTW, don't try drilling that wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Mark you have me really confused. Admittedly, that is not a hard thing to do. But, you say you have a wheel with a 7/8" hole that needs to go on a 5/8" arbor. My bad days are Fridays, Tuesdays I'm usually OK. So, I'm pretty sure that your 7/8" hole is already bigger than your 5/8" shaft (arbor). So, how would drilling out your 7/8" hole to an even bigger 1" hole help you? Befuddled minds would like to know. I'll risk sounding like a know-it-all, but will repeat. Arbor adapter kits are available. Mine cost about $2.00 at a local hardware store. There are several adapters in the kit. They are made of nylon. Easy slip on. Problem solved. BTW, don't try drilling that wheel.
    Frank,
    The SSG from Woodcraft has a 5/8" arbor and comes with wheels that have 7/8" holes and a 5/8 ID-7/8 OD bushing to fit the wheels onto the arbor. The Oneway balancing system is designed for setups where you have an arbor that is smaller than the hole in the wheel. They have three sizes for the balancing system--each for a different size arbor and each for a 1" hole in the wheel. The Oneway balancing system actually replaces the bushing. The one that would fit my particular machine would be a 5/8 ID-1" OD, but only if I replace the wheels I presently have with wheels that have 1" holes. I hope this makes it clearer. Thanks for the ideas.
    Mark

Is the grinder itself vibrating without the wheels, or with the wheels on?

I haven't tried running it w/o the wheels.

I was unable to do anything with it tonight. I plan to spend tomorrow evening on it. Going on Andy's suggestion, I looked at SMC archives and found this thread started by Corey several months ago; some of those comments gave me additional ideas of what to check out. I have a dial indicator and should be able to set it up to get an accurate read for possible arbor runout.