Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shop gloat

New shop gloat

Signed the papers at the end of last week for a lease on a new workshop unit. I have posted some photos below (if it works this time!).

As you will see this is not actually new, nor in fact is it really a shop yet. It is in fact an old milking parlour on a local farm which is owned by the Ministry of Defence which means that my ultimate landlord is John Bull (kinda like Uncle Sam but a bit fatter and older!)

Some of you may recall my "life gloat" posts on the pond, made when I decided about two years ago to take the plunge and make a living at woodworking. At that time my shop was a 400 sq ft wooden shed. Since then I have taken a second unit the same so I am working out of 800 sq ft at the moment. The new shop is about 1100 sq ft so that should give me some breathing space and should be enough for my one man shop for the next few years.

The new shop need some sork doing. Basically the structure is sound(ish) but the floors need attention to deal with the remnants of the former agricultural use. My shop can get real messy but I don't think I need the slurry gulley between the cattle stalls any more!

I will also be running new electrics and plumbing compressed air to all the work stations. I will be installing central ducting at some point but this may have to wait for cashflow. I have already started on machine layouts which is a great chance to re-optimise my production flows.

Work will take place over the next few weeks as I need to keep my order book flowing as well as developing the new shop and clearing out of my old one.

I will post some more pics as work progresses.
    Last edited by Ian Barley; 10-18-2006 at 1:11 PM.

That's going to make a mighty fine shop, Ian! I'm very jealous of all that open space. I love the open rafters, too. I don't know what the economics would be where you are, but a nice, level wood floor would be terrific and give you the opportunity to easily channel utilities, etc., while accomodating access in the future. It's also easier on the feet...

Good luck with the new shop and do post pictures as it develops!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My thoughts exactly Jim. What a great way to take advantage of the Trough in the floor.............run all the mechanicals you can down the channel, and then overlay a nice wooden floor. Probably some foam board insulation laid down under the wood would be good as well. It appears to be a wonderful historic structure Ian, and the look, inside and out, just says "Wood Shop"! Good Luck, and thanks for sharing the pictures with us. VERY neat!

Thumbs up

Congratulations Ian,

That is quite a step up from 400 square feet and looks like a very workable shop building. I personally like older buildings like that, they have character. One of those places that make you say "If these walls could talk..........". Good luck with the work ahead of you.

Bob

Cool

Congrats Ian! I'm with you all the way on this one: Get that workflow figured out and save yourself as many steps as you can. 1100 sq/ft is a great improvement over what you had and, although you've got a fair amount of work ahead, you can make it *exactly* they way it will work best for YOU! That's cool.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

"new" shop

Ian,
    Isn't Farnborough where the air show is/used to be?
    Congratulations on the shop space. Someone else's suggestion regarding the slurry gully being a blessing in disquise could be right on. Especially to run your mechanicals in. The other suggestion I was was for some foam insulation on the concrete with wooden floor over it. In any event, I am as envious as the rest with only a 20 by 14 shop in my digs. Please post pictures of progress and best of luck. Could be a nice setup. Might even allow for some showroom space at one end?
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Ian,

Congratulations on your new space. As a "new to professional woodworking" person myself, I too am looking ahead at getting a proper space for myself.

Keep us updated on your progress. You certainly are a man with vision to see a shop in that space!! On the other hand - your shop will have "instant character". Maybe even on warm summer days, you'll be reminded of past tentants! (Hope not!)

Todd.

Ian, that looks like it should make one fine shop. Good luck, I know how it is to keep current production going while all of your equipment is being pulled up and moved - and you're doing all of the planning and scheduling and reinstallation as well!

Now on this "new" thing. You need to explain to us Yanks the difference between old and new. (Old to us is 50 years - really old is 100)
    On my last visit to your fine country, I was given directions to the pub - "turn right at the 'new' bridge. . " only to find out the new bridge was built by the Romans!

Wes

Jim - I have thought hard about the floor and would love to go the wooden route but there are a couple of limitations. The headroom under the beams is just 7ft and while there is lots of space between the beams I don't want to lose any of the existing headroom. The other factor is cost. This is a 5 year lease and the cost of a wooden floor is a lot higher. Sadly, practicality says concrete with most of the services running overhead in the ample space above the framing beams.

Ernie - Yes - Farnborough is the venue for a biennial airshow, The airfield is basically at the bottom of my garden (ish). This means that every two years we get to watch some pretty neat aerobatics taking place. Gets a bit noisy tough. Farnborough was (and still is) central to aviation in the UK, Samuale Cody (yep - Buffalo Bill) became the first man to fly a powered aircraft in England at Farnborough (1908). Until very recently the sheds in which he built military airships (the black sheds) were still in use on the airfield.

Wes - Well its new to me. My guess would be that the structure was first put up in the 30's. No evidence to that effect but the building materials suggest about that time. So I guess that that makes it somewhere between "old" and "really old". I just thought that "Old Shop Gloat" didn't have quite the same ring.

I ahve now cleared my order schedule for the next three days so I can start to get into the work. Will let you know how I get on.

At least you can get your utilities (power/DC/etc.) up above the "ceiling" with those nice open trusses! Good luck with the project and keep us posted on your progress...it will be interesting to watch your new shop be born.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations, Ian, on a great looking shop.
    Keep us informed as to the progress. It would be great to have that kind of space.

Good luck,
    TomS

That building is awesome. I can just imagine working in there early in the morning and stepping outside with my back to the warm building interior to see the frost on the surrounding grass. The smell of a wood burning fire place use dto keep the building warm. Very romantic.

OK, that was one of my softer more sensitive moments.

That looks like a huge project to undertake. I can't wait to see how this develops.
    Jim

Ian, just ran across this "old" thread and was wondering had it turned out? Any updated photos? If you have post some and I missed it I apoligize. Just wondering.

Chad

14. It is a shame that the "slurry trough" is not deep enough for you dust collection duct work. That would be a tremendous bonus,

I am envious of all that space and look forward to progress pics and that is no "bull".
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Interesting space and loaded w character. Great place to set up shop. Keep us updated!! Congrats!!
    Jerry