Thread: Buffing or just EEE Ultra shine?

Buffing or just EEE Ultra shine?

I’ve read some posts on buffing and I like the results I see but do I need to spend the money? I have been using EEE ultra shine on my pens and bottle toppers and like the results. How much of a difference will there be if I buy the Beall bowl buff system and the 8” wheels and go through the three steps vs just using the EEE ultra shine? I may be coming into $150 which the wife is letting me have as freebee money which will cover the costs of the Beall systems but then again the EEE only cost $15.

Are there any other suggestions of sending the money on? I’ve got everything to do pens and bottle toppers and the basics for bowls. I seem to be spending a lot on stuff over the past year, but I haven’t been able to spend much time using them…

Wayne, I'm also in the buffing quandry. I seen some wonderful work that has the additional touch of having been buffed. For pens, I've been using the sanding sealer > EEE, > then friction polish. I like the finish, but I've heard it doeesn't hold up well over time. For bowls and platters, I've used wax, friction polish, lacquer, Polyurithane. I would suppose I could buff those out.

Although I could afford a Beal system, I've thought of the hastle of mounting it on the lathe for each project. Unless I go way overboard and get another slow speed motor... Way to obvious for my wife to notice where I spent the money

Eventually, I'll probably get a buff system because I believe it gives me another option, depending on the project. Such as buffing the above choices, or a CA finish on pens, which I'm still trying.
    Good Luck
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Jory; 08-30-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    My Dad taught me to keep my mouth shut and let people think I was stupid, than open it and remove all doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Jory
    Wayne, I'm also in the buffing quandry. I seen some wonderful work that has the additional touch of having been buffed. For pens, I've been using the sanding sealer > EEE, > then friction polish. I like the finish, but I've heard it doeesn't hold up well over time. For bowls and platters, I've used wax, friction polish, lacquer, Polyurithane. I would suppose I could buff those out.

Although I could afford a Beal system, I've thought of the hastle of mounting it on the lathe for each project. Unless I go way overboard and get another slow speed motor... Way to obvious for my wife to notice where I spent the money

Eventually, I'll probably get a buff system because I believe it gives me another option, depending on the project. Such as buffing the above choices, or a CA finish on pens, which I'm still trying.
    Good Luck
    Mike
    I am not an expert but from what I read it seems that EEE already has Tripoli powder in it , Tripoli is one of the steps in the Beal system. So I think you are really half way there , just wax or poly ( or poly and wax ). Also every where I read about EEE thier was a "NOTE:" that said this is not a finish for raw wood.