Thread: Turning jewelry, need some help.

Turning jewelry, need some help.

Seems I am about to be sucked into turning. Long story short, friend of mine wanted some jewelry turned and their grandfather had a minilathe he never used. Told me I could have it if I would just turn them some plugs(explained below) for them.

Well, it turned out to be a Jet Mini VS. So I am going to pay them something for it as well as making as many plugs as they want. I also got a cheap set of chisels and a mini set from PSI along with a micro chuck. I have played around a little bit, but looks like I need to sharpen the tools. I plan on getting a slow speed grinder for woodcraft I think. Also reserved a few books and videos at the library.

Question right now would be, how to get started turning what my friend wants. They are plugs for ears, for people who stretch their lobes. Range from real small to like 1 inch in diameter. Will post a few pics. Once I practice a bit they will be made out of whatever type of exotic wood they choose.

I'm not sure the best way to turn something like this so the showing face comes out real nice. Any advice or tips on how to get started would be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

A lot of turning depends on not only having very sharp tools, but also a perfect bevel to "ride" on the workpiece. The slow speed grinder from Woodcraft is a good start, but you also need a jig to hold the chisels... I have the Tormek with it's expensive jigs. I also have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. If I were starting over, I would consider the Wolverine jigs with the Woodcraft grinder.
    Last edited by Charlie Plesums; 08-30-2006 at 11:26 PM.

I have a friend in Austin Tx who makes plugs and other body jewelry, and he had a heck of a time trying to completely seal the woods. Many woods like cocobolo contain very toxic oils that cause adverse reactions when in contact with the skin for long periods of time. Even after sealing with CA and then waxing and buffing, people were still having reactions to the jewelry. I will ask him what his eventual solution was and get back to you. As far as how to, he chucks up the turning stock between a spur center and live center and turns round. He then turns the exterior shape he wants, and parts off one side. Then he chucks it up in a scroll chuck wrapping the piece in a piece of leather to protect the surface from the jaws. Then he faces/contours one side, flips the piece around, and faces/contours the other side. If it is a hollow piece he then drills a hole through and turns the inside contour. He very quickly realized that a hobby size metal working lathe was much better suited to this application, but the process pretty much stayed the same.

Most ears are small

Since the pieces are going to be so small, I'd be tempted to use double sided tape (the good woodworking variety) on a flat wood piece of wood attached to a faceplate (like you would with a glue block)...

There is not much cutting there if you have sharp tools!

Hope that helps,

Dennis

not knowing the size of the plugs for picture 1 and 3 I would turn a longer piece (maybe 5 or 6 inches) round between center. chuck the round piece in a collet chuck ( 4 jaw chuck if I did not have a collet chuck). Turn the end to size part off with a thin parting tool and sand the parted side by hand. For the second picture I would turn round same as above and chuck and drill the center hole to size. I would then hold the piece on a jam chuck made by running a steel rod though a piece of wood and epoxied in holding the steel rod it in a collet or drill chuck and turning the wood to the size of the hole. Jam the drilled wood blank on the jam chuck and turn away.
    There are many ways to do this but this would be what I would try first. The method for the second picture may seem like over kill but it should assure that you hole in centered. On a small piece like this is the hole is off center it will show badly.
    Mike Vickery

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I am going to start playing around seeing how I can get them done once I get the slow speed grinder so I can sharpen the tools.

I am sure I will have many more questions for you then

Thanks again

Talking

get a pen mandrel. just drill a 1/4" hole in a small piece of wood and put the smallest pen bushings you can get on either side and tighten it down. This will ensure that your hole is centered. turn whatever shape you want. i would also invest in a pair of calipers. you are goind to need to get a matched pair of plugs and I am not sure if "eyeballing" it is close enough when you go to stick them through your ears and they are different diameters.............. .

You don't neccessarily need to wait til you have the grinder. It will make things easier, but you can start with a belt sander, or even a handheld belt sander clamped to a bench or in a vise. Use a 150 grit belt and sharpen away!

Others have mentioned wood toxicity, this is a serious consideration. Since you have no control what a person will do with the plugs once they are out of your hands, and since you will be open to law suits if your clients or friends have a serious reaction, you should take this seriously. Keep in mind that an already allergy prone person may be killed by something as small as a bee sting.
    There are toxicity charts for various woods online, do a google search. Here is a site I found that has very in-depth info on the subject:
    http://www.esotericbody.com/wisdom.htm
    Also keep in mind many domestic hardwoods can be found in burl or curly grains. Since you are using very small pieces of wood, cost of material doesn't really matter.
    I notice from the pics that these plugs are turned face grain, rather than end grain. This should show off the wood best. You can also incorporate wood, stone or metal inlays into the larger size ones.
    Have fun, and good luck.