Thread: Plates or Platters

Plates or Platters

I have a question on the above subject. I called a lumber yard which carries some real nice lumber. I called them to find out if they had some curly maple and some teak which was 11" to 12" wide. He said they didn't have any right now and wanted to know what I wanted it for. I told him to make plates and platters. He being the owner said oh no you don't want to use that wide lumber like that. He said to use smaller stuff and glue it. He also said if you got the big stuff to rip it turn the middle piece 180 degrees end to end and glue it. He said it won't cup or warp on you. But if a guy uses kiln dried wood I wouldn't think you wouldn't have any trouble with that. Am I missing something here. I made 8 walnut plates and 4 cherry plates. There has been no warping or cupping with them and they were kiln dried. Info appreciated.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, with furniture thats what they do but you are talking long boards. With 12" platters I personally would not do that. I've never seen a platter split. Be interesting what others have to say.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Bernie - He's a lumber schlepper. Not a turner.

He's attempting to re-educate you so that you'll be able to buy what he sells (that's probably routinely on hand).

Possibly also hinting at the less than ideal moisture content of his stock.

Don't succumb to this.
    Only the Blue Roads

Actually, not only do I strongly disagree with the vendor about your specific question and his "solution", I would disagree with him if he said the same wide lumber was unsuitable for flat work, too. There is NOTHING wrong with using wide boards. They are a joy to use. Ripping them down is a sin, IMHO. And if his stock exhibits the problems he is concerned about, there is likely something amiss in the drying process. Will you get a "bad board" once in awhile? Yes. But not universally. Sheesh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. I appreciate the answers. I wondered if he wasn't up to something. I just couldn't figure out where he was coming from. I figured if the wood was dry 6% to 8% it should work. Was hoping I was ok as I had just bought some 1 1/2" X 12" X 48" cherry to make another set of plates. It is KD to 6%.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.