Thread: Face Frame Hinge Advice Needed

Face Frame Hinge Advice Needed

Hello Fellow Creekers-

I want to mount 1/2" overlay doors on an existing cabinet for the Mrs. The center 3/4" face frame piece is only 1 1/2" wide where 2 doors open face to face. This means that once the doors are mounted there is only a 1/2" between them. Can I use Rockler's item #55933 120° 1/2'' - 3/4'' Overlay Clip Top 3-Way Face Frame Hinges in an application like this? Should I be looking for a different hinge? Please advise.

Thanks, Gredo

Hey Gredo....

I don't have all the euro hinges memorized (yet) but don't see why the seperation distance between 2 doors on a center stile would cause any issues with overlay hinges. Am I missing some issue or can you elaborate on what exactly you're worried about ??

Mark

Those Rockler hinges are Blum 120 degree clip top hinges, that are the "standard" in good hinges. Go for it.

The advantage or weakness of the Blum hinges are that they move into the doorway as they open, so that they don't interfere with adjacent cabinets or doors. You will have lots of space between the doors. Looks great, works great, unless you have a pull out shelf, at which point you are in trouble. Blum has special (expensive) zero protrusion hinges that you need if the door has to clear a pull-out.

By the way, if you are going to put any edge profile on the door, plan on at least 5/8 inch overlay.

Picked up hinges at Rockler yesterday. Now I just gotta get busy making the doors so I can hang them.

Thanks!