Thread: Opinions on Jet 1442

Opinions on Jet 1442

I am giving serious consideration to upgrading from a mini lathe to the Jet 1442 when I can catch the "right price" in the coming months ahead.

I have been reading up on the reviews, and any other sources I can locate, which indicate it to be a pretty good lathe for the money. My needs are not "high end" and I doubt they ever will be, so I would like to stay around the price range of the 1442 if possible. I enjoy turning smaller items like pens, boxes, spindles and an occassional bowl or platter not more than 10" in diameter. I would like to go with something that has VS over manual. I want quality alongside of versatality and dependability. From everything I have read, this lathe appears to meet my criteria very well.

I would love to hear from anyone who owns and/or uses this lathe as to their opinion of any pros and cons on this lathe.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The 1442 is a pretty decent lathe for the money. It still has a Reeves drive for "variable" speed which gives you 5 or 6 speeds to choose from at the detents. It also has nice, heavy legs...one of the more notable upgrades from the older 1236 machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like mine

Bob:

I bought mine about a year ago and have been very pleased. At the time, I was considering also the same price range Delta. The Jet happened to be on sale at my local Woodcraft, so I went for that. The main features I liked were the very heavy weight, 120 lbs in the legs alone, and the variable speed. Lathe has seemed to be very stable and well made.

Cheers
    Doc Ron

Rules of Life:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    2. It's almost ALL small stuff.

Thought you could sneak that one by me didn't you buddy. Well now who is looking my friend.

I don't think you can go wrong with that one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the valuable info guys! I am trying to look at this model from every angle so I can make an informed decision and not have any surprises.

Yep Bernie, looks like I'm busted Been hanging around with you too long and now it is rubbing off Figure if I'm going to catch up with your talents I better look at a bigger lathe

Bob, I also really like mine, no problems, smooth as silk. Largest to date has been 10X4, I do use the BS to get it basic round first. I only wish they included a 6 inch rest, would make pens a bit easier. If you have any ? just PM me. The legs weigh 163 ? Shipping weight of 190, cardboard box and styro.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Scott,

Any problem with the motor being in the way for bowl turning or the speed lever being in the way of pen turning at the head stock on higer speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ron
    Bob:

I bought mine about a year ago and have been very pleased. At the time, I was considering also the same price range Delta. The Jet happened to be on sale at my local Woodcraft, so I went for that. The main features I liked were the very heavy weight, 120 lbs in the legs alone, and the variable speed. Lathe has seemed to be very stable and well made.

Cheers
    Doc,

Thanks for the helpful reply and Welcome to SMC. Hope to see you around more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Scott,

Any problem with the motor being in the way for bowl turning or the speed lever being in the way of pen turning at the head stock on higer speeds?
    Bob, the speed selector has never been an issue. The spindle ends in line with the motor with about 4 1/2 inches between the spindle and motor which means for bowls or vases over about 8 inch wide and you are using a jam chuck, it would have to be as long as it is deep, minus your chuck or center. Not an issue for me. Hope that made since.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

After doing a ton of research I settled on the 1442 for my first lathe about a year and half ago. I felt that it was the clear winner in that price category. My criteria was "big enough for a baseball bat", and you can certainly turn one for the major leagues with 42 inches between centers.

I did have some problems that I'll pass along, so you can be on the lookout. The first issue I had was with the speed control handle. By the way, it does seem to get in the way sometimes when the speed is set high, so I did have to adjust my approach in a few situations. To adjust the speed, you pull the handle towards you and a pin pops out allowing you to move the speed handle. After a certain amount of dust and grit got lodged around the pin, it would no longer pop out and my machine was stuck on the highest speed. To fix it, the Jet rep I spoke with on the phone had me remove the sticker displaying the RPM speeds to reveal the screws holding the speed control. At that point, I was able to remove, clean, and lubricate it. That worked for a while, but it continued to be a chronic issue.

The other more serious issue I had was with the alignment. As a new turner, I didn't realize my lathe was out of alignment until I had used it for about a year. When I finally learned about bringing the tailstock up and checking the alignment, I discovered that the points were .030" off up and down and .025" off left and right. Fortunately, the lathe had a 2 year warranty, so I took it in for service. After trying multiple tailstocks, Jet finally agreed that it wasn't fixable and shipped me a brand new lathe.

Since I got hooked on turning in that first year, I left the new replacement lathe in the box and sold it to a local club member for $700. Then I took the proceeds, added some cash, and bought a Oneway. I guess you could say I switched from Miracle Whip to Mayo and couldn't be happier.

Having said all that, I would still recommend the Jet 1442 as the best bang for your buck in the $700-$1000 price range.

Well, this just isn't fair! All you guys tossing your poor little mini's in the corner for more fancier lathes. Bob, hope you are able to get what you want. Keep us posted buddy! For now, I am hanging on to my 159.00 mini, I think I am going to give a good test on that 3 year warranty Besides, momma said I have too

Corey

Thanks for all the additional infomation y'all. Looks like I have a lot to think about and study. I may have an opportunity to go use one and that will help get a first hand feel for the minor issuses that have been brought up.

Jeff, sounds like you had a lemon which can be the case with anything, bu Jet made good on their warranty which makes me feel good about the product.

Corey..... I'm not abandoning the little PSI at all as it has been a great lathe. Just looking down the road a little bit as skills develop

I have been pleased with my 1442. I turned a four poster bed for my son using 4x4x42" mahogany for the bottom half with not problems. Have turned 4" thick x 13" diameter bowls. Nice weight to the lathe makes it stable for most reasonably balanced blanks. I do have to check the alignment of the tail stock by bringing it up to the headstock every time I do spindle turning. But that is easy to do by rotating the head slightly to match. Otherwise, it will do most of what woodturners want to do.

I've had my 1442 for about 8 months now and I've loved every second of turning that I've done on it. I upgraded from a flimsy, 12x36 low end Grizzly which almost caused me to give up turning. The Jet was a big upgrade for me, and is now the biggest, heaviest, and highest quality piece of machinery in my shop. So far, it has done everything I've asked of it, and I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade (famous last words).