Thread: Best wood to start with to practice on?

Best wood to start with to practice on?

Well, I just got my slow speed grinder from woodcraft and the wolverine jig. Need to play with the grinder a little bit because it vibrates like crazy out of the box.

Going to be turning small jewelry, and before I use anything of value I would like to get a fair amount of practice on the lathe and figure out how I will turn these things. Just curious what the best cheap wood is to learn on? Doubt it makes that big of a deal, but I figure when learning id like to give myself the most advantages as I can.

Thanks guys

Try to find logs by the side of the road basically. There are alot more around than you would think. At least around here. You could also ask tree guys if you see them working. They are usually more than happy to give a couple of logs away. Or you could stop by a tree service again let them know what you are up to and I bet someone will be more than happy to help you out. I think that with the stuff you plan on turning you are going to want to find some fairly dense stuff to practice on as well since it will cut similarly to what you will be using. Maple is pretty plentiful so hard maple would be good and black walnut or cherry are also nice. Luckily if you are turning small stuff the wood you purchase won't be very expensive. At the symposiums and wodworking shows there are usually alot of vendors selling exotic turning stock pretty inexpensivly. When you spread the cost over a couple of pieces it goes down from there.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Matt, here is a thread from last week where a few creekers helped me address the grinder issue:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42049

The quick and dirty version of it is, loosen the arbor nuts, rotate the wheels, re-tighten the nuts, run the grinder, and repeat until you find a "sweet spot." Oneway sells a balancing system that gets rave reviews, but you can't use it with that grinder unless you also purchase a new pair of wheels with 1" holes as opposed to the 7/8" holes in the wheels that came with the machine.

Also, be sure to dress the wheels. I like the T-shape diamond dresser from Woodcraft.

What wood to start with? I'll echo what John said--find some logs. Get a decent chainsaw if you don't already have one. The tools may be expensive but at least the wood can be "free."

Good luck

Mark

Free Practice Wood

Matt,
    Free scraps of ordinary southern yellow pine framing lumber can be had at most building sites. It's useful to improve your skills because the extreme disparity in hardness between winter and summer wood makes it a bit challenging to turn. But it will not be a good simulation of the nice hardwoods that you're going to use for your jewelry items.

Thanks for the info guys.. Actually I just cut down some pretty big oak branches off this weekend and are just waiting for trash at the side of the yard. Problem is I borrow a chainsaw and my bandsaw right now is junk
    Suppose I could manage to get a few scraps off to play with though

I think I am going to look for just a lot of maple blanks or something similar on ebay or something to play with, saw a couple that are pretty cheap. I would rather practice on something I won't care if nothing comes out of it. Not even for cost, it would just bother me to ruin some nice wood

Or if anyone has any sites to recommend to buy from? I am going to call around to see about anything local, but not sure what ill find.

Thanks again

If it was me, I would buy some poplar turning squares. They are very cheap or some plain old 2 x 4 material as well. Good for practicing anyway. You can get some poplar at Constantines which I buy dry turning stock from them alot. Here is the link:
    http://www.constantines.com/index.as...S&Category=138
    Hope this helps.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    If it was me, I would buy some poplar turning squares.
    "Found" wood is much more economical. Check the firewood pile, the woods behind the house, along the road, free "shorts" from a local cabinet shop, etc. Save buying wood for the exotic stuff later!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,
    I'm with Jim...the best wood is free wood! Mount your oak branch (bark and all) between centers and practice your spindle turning for a bit.

If you keep your eyes open, you'll see little wood treasures everywhere. Get your friends and family involved in hunting wood for you. Your garage will be full of turning stock before you know it, trust me.

If you're ever in the Toledo area, I'll send you home with a nice variety of wood.

Best of luck,
    Dick

When I got my first lathe in the shop I turned virtually everything I had laying around that I could get into (or glue up) the lathe. I think simple pine taught me more about keeping the bevel rubbing on those tools because the surface made clearly shows when you are doing it right. If the surface is smooth and almost shinny, you got it right. If the surface is fuzzy, chipped and splintered, you are emulating my early technique and need more practice. There is no in-between with pine which helps a bunch.
    I then worked my way through all the hardwood I could find laying around (side of the road is a good suggestion) and this new endeavor justified buying a decent chain saw.
    By the way, near the end of my first year with a lathe we had an ice storm that not only produced lots of barnches for practice, it ruined a 50-foot-tall red oak that had to come down and I literally turned the whole thing, down to branches around 3"-diameter and larger.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"