Thread: Sharpenning Spokeshave Blade

Sharpenning Spokeshave Blade

I bought the Lie Nielson spokeshave a while back and just got around to sharpenning it today. I had to sharpen it by hand since it didn't fit into my blade holder. Wondered if anyone has a better way of sharpenning such small blades?
    Jim

Jim,

Lee-Valley sells a holder for short blades to be used in combination with heir sharpenning jig, it works fine, but I find myself still doing it by hand unless I need to "true" the blade.

Jorge
    Have you planted any trees lately?

Woody Leland Guest

Scary Sharp Method

I use spokeshaves often and have 6 in my toolbox. (Always looking to add more!) So far I maintain all the blades with the scary sharp method. I use blocks of wood with various grits of sandpaper. I also fine-hone them with diamond paste as was shown in a recent issue of FWW. I do it fairly often, so it does not take very long, except for the first time.

Then again, if you get a shave from Woodjoy or Dave's Shaves, they'll already be honed sharp when you get them.

-Woody in South Portland, Maine
    (Chairmaker, among other things)

Another sharpening/honing technique

One way to be able to use a jig without additional purchases is to cut a piece of 1/2" thick wood stock just wide enuf to fit into the jig. Take one end and slot it about an inch and a half or so deep and drill a hole about an inch in from the edge of the wood. Use a wing nut and bolt to tighten down over the blade which is inserted in the slot. I've also found this useful as a means for hand holding when sharpening one of the highly curved irons for my two Millers Falls cigar shaves. For tanged irons like the Woodjoy, Dave Wachnicki/Gunterman/Hoch, etc- cut a piece of MDf narrow enuf so it fits between the posts and attach your scary sharp paper to one surface. I also keep an MDF piece with green chromium oxide for the final hone.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH