Thread: Dvr 3000 Radio Interference?

Dvr 3000 Radio Interference?

Help,
    Have heard some rumor about radio frequency interference in operating this lathe. Any truth to that and what are problems, if any?

Does the DVR XP have the same problems?

Thank you all in advance,

Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

2. My DVR 3000 really kills my radio when it is turned on, not even running, but I use my laptop as a BIG Ipod, so I don't mind it.

I do not know if they fixed that quirk on the new XP.

Cheers!

Stu,
    Thank you so much. Does it only interfere with the radio that is in the same room, the whole house, or any of your nearby neighbors?
    Ernie

4. I'm in the basement of our 7 floor building, so I only see the effects in the Dungeon, not anywhere else, but in a wooden house....? Maybe it would affect other rooms, don't know, sorry!

Cheers!

Thanks Stu. I'll give Tim Geist a call in the morning, see what he has to say. I am glad to have a first-hand report from you. Aside from the radio interference, how do you like the DVR so far?

Only complaint about my Nova 3000 with DC motor is that at the lowest speeds, seems the torque curve parallels the rpm curve e.g., low speed = low torque. My solution for really large/heavy/out of balance pieces is to use lowest pulley combination and turn it up to about 100rpm. Has worked well so far. Did ask Tim if I decide to upgrade, will the DVR 3000 headstock/motor fit my Nova 3000 rails and he assured me it would. Should have asked about the DVR XP.

Again, thank you so much for your info.

Ernie

Oneway has a RFI filter available for their lathes. It may fit yours. I have one and have no problem with the radio.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Kuhn
    Thanks Stu. I'll give Tim Geist a call in the morning, see what he has to say. I am glad to have a first-hand report from you. Aside from the radio interference, how do you like the DVR so far?
    Well I'm sure I'd love a nice big stonking Oneway a bit more, but not much or the Vicmarc VL300, but really, they were out of my budget, (I'd have to sell BOTH of my motorcycles, and my trailer to afford those ones )

I really like the DVR 3000, really, really, it is smooth, POWERFUL and quiet. a total pleasure to turn on, especially compared to the old C-man lathe I started on.

With the newly rebuilt stand, I've stuck VERY unbalanced BIG chunks of wood on there, with lots of good screws in the faceplate and cranked it up, WAY up, try 3500 rpm, while standing WELL out of the line of fire, thank you, and the whole thing barely wiggled

There are two things that I do not like, both of which are really minor things.

First, I just freaking HATE.....HATE the dumb little tune the stupid thing plays when you turn it one etc, at least give us MUTE!!!!

Second, when you use the swing out headstock (which is really nice on bowls etc) when you swing it back you have to line the head and tail stock up, I need to get the double MT#2 thingy to do this easier. Not a big thing, Bill Grumbine tells me that even his mighty Poolewood has this problem, so I guess the DVR is in good company.

Some complain that the various handles are a bit short, but most just turn some extensions and then CA glue them in place. I also very much like the G3 chuck that came with my lathe.

Yep, I'd buy it again.

Good lathe!

Cheers!

Talking

Barbara, thank you so much for the RFI Filter info. Seems like that might be the ticket.

Stu,
    Are you sure, you really like the DVR 3000? It was hard to tell from your response

Not really. Again, thank you so much for your input. Really appreciate it.

Ernie

You are welcome Ernie; glad I could help.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

If the lathe really does interfere with radio reception nearby, it is not only annoying, but also illegal. The FCC has regulations and testing procedures for computers and appliances and such. They even apply to the dimmers on the lights in your house. Nova may just be skating by, or may not know about theUS laws. If I had a Nova lathe which interfered with nearby radios, I'd get on Nova's case -- partly to get them to make my radio whole again, and partly to protect them. The FCC is not a good outfit to try to fight with.