Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curly Black Walnut Table--Just Finished...

Wow Phil. I think everything about the table is great. I think it is a shoe in for Fine Woodworking. It really is superb and I think you are justly proud.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Beautiful job on your table, Phil.

I just had a commission that required significant quantities of curly black walnut, in wide boards, to boot. Bottom line, curly black walnut is very hard to find, and the folks who have it are very proud of it.

Claro walnut is much redder than black walnut, but (for whatever reason) is often far more curly than black walnut. I could get wood to do the commission as originally requested if we were willing to switch to claro walnut (the customer was not).

The difference in color is not huge... I had some claro in my inventory, and several times I made part of a project out of the "wrong" walnut... it wasn't obvious until I did the dry fit. (I finally sold all the claro so I wouldn't keep making that mistake). But for independent pieces, not part of an set, or not right next to each other, you may not have a problem using claro.

If you are looking for mail-order special lumber, Mike Mastin at www.curlywoods.com is a great guy to deal with - and he will level with you if he doesn't currently have what you are looking for.

Phil, the table looks fantastic. The design and the wood go hand in hand. The finish looks silky smooth. Nice piece.