Thread: Drilling Cast Iron

Drilling Cast Iron

I'm not happy with the number or size of the holes in my 3 inch faceplate. Can I drill cast iron or am I stupid to even think of it?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I drilled and tapped the CI fence on my MM16 bandsaw without any problems. My guess is that your faceplate is probably thicker than what I drilled through, but doubt you'd run into any problems as long as your drill bit is sharp. I've also read threads were users have drilled through the thicker CI table on their bandsaws without issues.
    Use the fence Luke

jason, drilling cast iron is a breeze! it`s softer than steel and cuts well, just use a slow speed drill and you`ll be fine......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

As Tod said, drilling & tapping cast iron is no big deal. I drill/tap cast iron dry to keep from making a bigger mess, but WD-40 works well as a lubricant.
    Keep in mind that the cast iron threads aren’t as strong as regular steel threads so don’t over torque!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the tips. I re-drilled my faceplate over my lunch hour. I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks again.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."