Thread: Wood Gloat ...

Wood Gloat ...

After seeing Ken's article on the cost of exotic woods, it makes me feel even better about being able to score this wood. I found these three wooden pallets in a load of supplies delivered to where I work. It's the first time I've seen Mahogany pallets come in. The supplies came from Panama, so it makes some sense. I'll be keeping my eye out for more now. The wood is beautiful, and I immediately tagged it "hold for Ron" (it helps when you're the Plant Superintendent). I brought it home and turned these three pens out of a small piece to see what they'd look like. I really like the grain. I'm going to take the pallets apart, making sure all the nails are gone, and my neighbor is going to run the usable pieces through his planer for me. The smaller stuff will become more pen blanks. Even with all of the wood I've gotten from Hurricane Isabel, I didn't get any of this stuff! Thanks for looking, have fun, and be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Nice catch Ron!

The pens look real nice too.

All I have found is oak in my search for pallet wood.

Roger

Thumbs up

Nice gloat and some great pens. Did you check the moisture content of the pallets?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

nice score! i'd be looking out for shipments from panama! all i ever find is oak and ash and pine, and most too thin to do much with. keep scrounging!
    chris