Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Jet bandsaw - please

Timberwolf tensioning method

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver
    Lots of people use this method

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp
    This method works well with Timberwolf blades, which are intended to be run at tension less than the tension used on other blades, e.g. carbide. Has anyone used Timberwolf's method on carbon steel or bimetal blades? I've found that using excessive tension on Timberwolf blades doesn't help with tracking problems (due to a dull/worn blade that felt sharp to me ) A good Timber Wolf blade with too much tension seemed to produce a rougher surface without improved tracking compared to the same blade tensioned using the Timberwolf recommended method. That has been my experience anyway.

I hope this makes sense

Curt

Here's my .02 about the Timber Wolf blades. We sell them. I am told that these blades are "Low Tension" Blades. If you Over-tension them, they WILL break early! The way I was told to tension them is:

Install the blade with all the bearings/ cool blocks backed off. Tighten it till it is snug. Turn the band saw on and tighten it till the "Wobble" goes away. Make one more turn on the tension knob and it should be correct!

Other blades should be tensioned to the specifications listed in your machine.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I wasn't able to try these tings last night. We are getting ready for a small vacation, our first vacation this year. I will hopefully get to try them tonight.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
    George