Thread: First hollow forms / Oneway for 14" lathes

John Szarek Guest

First hollow forms / Oneway for 14" lathes

Well I have been debating getting a hollowing rig for a long time, and liked the Kel, and the Oneway. To tell the truth, I liked the Oneway better because of the replaceable / modifiable tips, and the ease of assembly. The major problem is that they do not list one for a 14" lathe!

Well I called Oneway to see what they had to say. I was put in touch with Kevin, and after a little discussion, he built one for the jet 1442 I own!

Out of the box it took me less than 15 min to setup, and another 10 to level out. A friend of mine has the Oneway, and there were some big differences between this one and his.
    1. The laser is no longer held on by magnets. There are 2 screws that sandwich the laser in place. This allows you to adjust the tension, and holds it very securely. There is no "jitter" while you are turning, and once you have the laser set, it stays exactly where you set it.
    2. the bar that holds the laser is much heavier, and allows for fantastic control and infinite adjustment.

The only problem I ran into was with the laser flickering at the bottom of the vase. I determined that due to the vibrations, the batteries were losing connection so I adjusted the spring and that fixed the problem. (If you want more details, b-mail me and I will explain how I adjusted the spring.) The only other mod I made was to add UHMW Slippery tape to the inside of the guide rails which helps everything slip without scratching.

The first turning was from a mesquite log I had laying around. I first mounted it between centers and formed a tenon and the outer shape of the vase. Once it was the way I liked, it was time for the new toy. So I mounted the piece in the chuck and grabbed the boring bar. Slowly I was making the hole. OK, that is taking too long, I removed the hollowing system and remounted my tailstock with a forenster bit. That made clearing the center fast and easy. Besides I can use those shavings in the BBQ! Once the rig was re-installed, I adjusted the laser at about 1/4" thickness. Within no time the laser dot was dropping off the side of the piece.
    Just have to remember to use the compressor to blow the shavings out.

Of all the tools I have purchased for the late, this has to have the shortest learning curve!
    This was my first piece:

My Second:

The cat is embarrassed the lamp is going topless

Nice work! Now for the important stuff, who is Kevin and how do I get in touch, not that I would want to spend any more money on this hobby
    PS. What is B-mail ?
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 09-12-2006 at 4:07 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Way to go, John! Great rig, great pieces, great story.

Scott - Kevin Cla ----- nope. Not gonna do it and get accused again as the only guy around here who knows obscure things.
    Only the Blue Roads

What Andy said
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

John Szarek Guest
    Kevin works at oneway. Go to http://www.oneway.ca (NOTE CA NOT COM) and call the number there. Explain you saw the writeup here and want to talk to kevin about a hollowing tool. It may take time as they are not yet a stocked item. NO additional charge for the mod, just the regular tool price!

Thanks John, will call, And Andy and Keith, remember, no guts, no glory
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Very cool, I love that lamp especially!!

corey

Both are great but love that lamp. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Both are great pieces! Short learning curve.....that's an understatement. Nice!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice on bot John. Congrats on the new toy.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work and great info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf