Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC duct reducing question

PVC duct reducing question

Could someone please please help me? I'm stuck on the seemingly simple matter of cutting some Vs in 6in pvc so I can taper it down to 5in for mating to 5in flex hose.

I feel dumb for not being able to figure it out. I read Bill Pentz's duct section and he says to cut some long Vs to taper the pipe down.

So I get out my coping and hack saws and start cutting Vs. I tried Vs as you're staring through the pipe, Vs as you look down on it, Vs pointed towards the pipe opening, and some pointed towards the middle of the pipe.

Nothing I do seems to work. I feel like there is some fundamental mechanical principal I'm missing here. I started thinking about the circumference of a circle and figured I had to remove about 3 inches to get from 6in down to 5in - but still got nowhere.

Could someone please offer me a tip before I run out of my expensive 6in pvc pipe?

Thanks so much!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42700 This isn't exactly what you are looking for, Chris, but may be a bit of a start.

6" PVC has a circumfrence that is 6/5 or 20% bigger than a 5" circle (the size of your flex). Actually, the pipe has a thickness and it is more like a diameter of 6.25"--so more like 25% bigger than a 5" circle. This translates to nearly 4" of pipe removal from your V cuts (6.25" diameter circle has a circumfrence of 19.6", 5" diameter is 15.7").

So lets say you make 4 V cuts of some length x. A the top of the V, because you plan 4, you will need to make the V 1" wide. Now the longer x is (the height of the V), the easier it will be to close the V to get the 5" diameter at the end of the pipe.

In theory, it should work fine but you really need to make MANY V cuts to make the taper go smoothly. Using a square, I'd mark the pipe 12" from the end and make a mark all around the whole pipe. Next, divide up the pipe into, say, 8 sections and draw line from the end of the pipe to the mark 12" away. Now place a mark 1/4" away on either side of the line at the end of the pipe. Draw from this mark to the 12" mark, on both sides. You should now have a V that is 1/2" wide at the top, and the two sides of the V meeting at the mark 12" away. Do this 7 more times. Now cut out the Vs.

I have not read Bill's site regarding this but this is, in my mind, how I would go about doing this. If you are doing this, I'm not sure what your issue is. What exactly do you mean that it isn't working? What is happening?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Stick a short length of 6" metal pipe into the PVC, then make your cuts in the metal pipe, to reduce it to 5". In other words, have a metal transition between your 6" pvc and 5" pvc.

why make this so dificult? cut holes that are sized for the o.d. of the pipe in two pieces of mdf for collars, caulk the pipe to mdf joints then screw the two pieces together. the 5" is flowing into the 6" so the necessity of a tapered reducer is pretty much eliminated, sure there will be some turbulence at the joint but given the velocity of the air/dust passing the joint it`s very unlikely that you`ll get a clog..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Chris, I have a suggestion, its a long shot but it may work.

First a few observations:

1.) PVC can be shaped by heating it.
    2.) it can be shaped by sanding, cutting and milling.

I used to work for a vinyl railing manufacturer and saw how they made some pretty nifty stuff with the stuff.

having a 6" pvc pipe and needing to reduce it to 5" I would take a section of PVC that is about 2 to 3 inches long and cut it so it is a "c" then remove anough of the pvc material so that when you pres on it so that the ends touch it will fit inside the 6" pvc snuggly. then check to see how much material you will need to remove so that the 5" pipe will fit inside the peice you just put in the 6" pipe.

Chances are you will have to remove some but you wont have to actually remove it.

If you heat the "C" piece it will mold into the 5" section. put the "c" piece in a toaster oven and heat it to 400 for about 15 min or so till its like rubber, using gloves take it out and place it inside the 6" pipe then shove the 5" piece shifting it until it slide into the "C" let the "C" cool a bit then remove the 5" pipe. You can now shape the "C" so that it is a smooth transition from the 6" I.D. to the 5" O.D.

This may not make any sense, not sure I ve explained it well. Ive done similar things with PVC. I'll try to do it and see if it works.

If you do try remember to use thick leather gloves and a large wrench or vice grip to help manipulate the hot PVC and make sure you have a work surface that wont melt. Belive me when PVC gets rubbery it is HOT but you can do anything with it you want. When it cools it is hard as ever.

Hope this helps.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

pics of pipe collars.....

MVC-845S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Hi,
    What I do is get a metal 6" to 5" reducer.. It slides perfectly into the 6"PVC pipe (ASTM2729 Sewer & Drain) and then slightly crimp the 5" metal end and slide the flex hose over it. Sometimes I don't need to crimpat all, depends on the flex hose.

This has worked out real well for me. You can also do this with 6" -> 4" reducers or whatever size you need.

Dan

Thanks for the responses.

Chris P., when I said it's not working, I tried cutting a V or two, then putting a band clamp on to see how much taper I got. The best I got was 1/4 inch, but I had a giant bulge down my V.

I like your suggestion about 8 Vs each 12in long. I'll try that tonight. I guess I was confused because reading other descriptions it sounded like you just cut a simple V and it'll taper down. In reality, you need to cut multiple deep Vs.

I'll expore some of these other suggestions if I can't get this to work. I've done a little PVC bending, so Julio's idea certainly seems do-able.

Whatever I do, I would prefer to keep a tapered transistion. I installed all the ductwork trying to maintain optimum flow and would hate to abandon that right at the end.

Thanks again for the help!

Dan that's a great tip too. I'll try the zero cost route first then look at buying some metal reducers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lyman
    Hi,
    What I do is get a metal 6" to 5" reducer.. It slides perfectly into the 6"PVC pipe (ASTM2729 Sewer & Drain) and then slightly crimp the 5" metal end and slide the flex hose over it. Sometimes I don't need to crimpat all, depends on the flex hose.

This has worked out real well for me. You can also do this with 6" -> 4" reducers or whatever size you need.

Dan
    Thats a good idea. less work I think.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

sorry folks! i was way off base here, i didn`t read the original post well enough to glean "flex" from it i was talking about ridgid to ridgid..tod

Do they make a rubber 6" to 5" reducer for cast iron that might fit? I've seen rubber reducers in the plumbing aisle in HD/Lowes that might work...just a thought.

Good luck,
    Dick

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the larger sizes but I use a rubber 4" to 3" reducer successfully for one machine. I had to add a quick disconnect to the end of the 4" flex hose to make a good connection to the reducer. The reducer then slipped right on the the 3" port. I don't even need to clamp them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Could also cut a 5" (OD) hole in a 6" pipe cap.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Chris - Good question. In my case, I have 6" pvc that needed to be connected to 5" flex. I found that Dan Lyman's suggestion of using an HVAC 6" to 5" reducer works well. The 6" side slips right inside the 6" PVC (a little caulk to seal it) and the 5" flex slips tighly over the HVAC 5" end. There are several reducers of different sizes found easily at Lowes or HD.

The other option, which I also used is found on this link:

http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/...clone/PB130041

Through these two solutions, I've gone from 6" PVC to 5" flex, from 6" PVC to 6" flex and from 6" PVC to 5" flex. This is one of the tougher things to figure out as a DIY'r. Go with the PVC mod and the HVAC reducers.

DCG

Dan Lyman
    Last edited by Justin Dreier; 09-13-2006 at 9:22 PM.