Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for comments on the Clear Vue Cyclones

Looking for comments on the Clear Vue Cyclones

Anyone have the Clear Vue Cyclone? Good? Bad? How are they compared to other cyclones?
    Thanks,
    Rick

rick, several guys own them on the forum, i`ve never heard anything but good reviews. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rick de Roque
    Anyone have the Clear Vue Cyclone? Good? Bad? How are they compared to other cyclones?
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Quite simply, unless you are going to build your own cyclone, this is the best unit on the market, IMHO.

Ed will give you a great deal on the cyclone, the blower, the motor, the filters etc, what ever you need.

Plus I think it would be fairly need to see it in action all the time

I built my own, but if I were in the US, I would be VERY tempted to just by one, and be done with it.

Cheers!

I LOVE mine...

I LOVE mine....would purchase another in a heart beat! A good friend of mine bought one from Oneida at the same time I bought mine---same specs....he is planning on giving his to his so, and buying a CVC.
    Phil

Rick, Ed is a class act to work with. I've got mine up, but still not running. (Don't tell Ed!) Still working on the duct work, and need to get the electricity turned on...but that's another story. It's easy to assemble. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Another Two thumbs up!

I've had mine for about 5 months now. I'm Extremely happy with it. And I can say enough about Ed and help he gave along the way. Nice to be able to call when you need help. Especially in the evenings. I had a 2hp Onieda, no comparsion. The Onieda left dust pyles in my cabinet saw. Barely any with the Clearvue. I highly recommed it!

Phil & Russ

Could you two elaborate on your experiences? Since you have Oneidas to compare them to I'd be curious to know what seems to be so much better in the CVC design.

Russ is your CVC also a 2hp or more? Is this what makes the difference in suction or is it something in the design?

Jake

I would be willing to bet the impeller design and blower have alot to do with it.

Ed's impeller is a heavy duty monster and the blower is well built and perfect for the CVC.

I bought Ed's 14" impeller and it weighs almost as much as the 3hp Leeson motor. That thing sucks some serious air.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Also, It's in the design of the Cyclone itself. It's a Bill Pentz design. The inlet is on a angle. It's also a rectangle not a round. Which helps reduce turblulence. The air ramp helps with separation. I could on and on. But what sold me was the fact it was the only Pentz design on the market. I suggest going to Bill Pentz's site and read up. And there is a LOT to read. Bill is a SMC member. Also considered the by many (including myself) guru of dust collection. He has done a lot of research on the matter. Also Call Ed I must have talked to him 3-4 times before buying. As a Side note Ed pays a small royalty to Bill for use of his design.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Ed will give you a great deal on the cyclone, the blower, the motor, the filters etc, what ever you need.
    Last I checked, they didn't offer filters but have setup a deal with Wynn Environmental.

I bought mine last december and honestly haven't completely set it up yet. The honey do list is longer than my arm. I have corresponded with Ed Morgano via email and he's a genuine good guy straight shooter. So far, I have nothing but praise for them although I'm more than anxious to actually get it hooked up to a machine.

Matt
    Matt

I have one, wouldn't trade it for anything... Ed's a great business man, has good customer support, and an excellent product...

Besides, it's WAY cool to see the dust stream spinning down the chute

Glad to hear

that so many have had good results and are happy. I personally think Ed would be well served by making it look more refined. I realize function is much more important than form, but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. Glad to hear it really performs.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt
    that so many have had good results and are happy. I personally think Ed would be well served by making it look more refined. I realize function is much more important than form, but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. Glad to hear it really performs.

Jake
    Well, it was done in his garage or workshop. Thrown together? Far from it. As you're probably aware, Ed is a machinist by trade and it shows in the mechanical piece. Of course, you could always throw it together in your garage using the Bill Pentz plans if you like?

I know you weren't implying that it was thrown together and that it was just a thought. True, the other cyclone manufacturer's do look all nice and polished - for a lot more money and, my opinion based on the reviews of others, no better performance. Looking to forming my own hands-on opinion.

Matt
    Matt

Cant comment yet on how well it works as I'm currently undergoing a CVC install and don't have it completed yet.
    http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400

Ditto the other comments on Ed being great to work with. He's even returned a phone call or two on a Sunday, which is almost unheard of in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt
    ... but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. ...
    Jake
    Yup - thrown together in MY garage.
    Use the fence Luke

I'd like to piggyback on this thread with any comparison to the Grizzly 3HP cyclone. I don't want to start the whole import vs. US debate but did have a couple of questions.

In my reading the Clearvue and Grizzly 3HP had sim. test numbers (CFM at certain inches of SP).

The Grizzly complete (shipped) is $1285
    The clearvue is $995 plus I would need to purchase a barrel, switch and filters. It does include 6 blast gates, but the Grizzly includes a remote starter.

Price wise it's a wash.

My concerns/questions.

1. I have a wynn cannister filter on my single stage dust collector and it's a pain to keep it clean. Without a brush or beater, can I expect the same problem with a wynn filter on the clearvue?

2. The Clearvue has a 5hp motor, but it's rated compressor duty. Will this work in a commercial cabinet shop? (not constant use, but more the a couple mins. at a time)

3. Any concerns I should have about the Grizzly (other than import motor). Design issues that aren't reflected in the CFM specs, but may result in poor collection?

thanks

brent