Thread: router and table compatability

router and table compatability

I was wondering if I can use this router table with a Dewalt 618 router. The website says it works with any Craftsman router, so I'm skeptical. Also, I don't know where I would get a replacement plate, if that is needed to make it work. A guy is selling the table on craigslist, and I'm thinking about it....

My guess is it's a 90% probability you could fit the DeWalt router by drilling new holes.

But unless the router table is for sale very cheap, I'm wondering, "why bother." The table size is small, the fence is nothing special, and I don't see any provision for dust collection, other than waste accumulating in the "storage" cabinet.

I think you'll come out way ahead if you put the money toward a good router plate (that won't require modification) and a simple shop-made table.

Andy.

I've seen both of those router tables in Sears. Honestly you are better off making your own.
    There isn't a whole lot to making a functioning router table. A nice well built carcass with a dense multi layered top, covered with some form of a smooth surface. It takes a lot of time to make one because of the accuracy that has to be built in.

Mine is made with kiln dried 2x4's, borg quality plywood. The top,and fence are made of Baltic birch on top of multiple layers of MDF. It's dead flatand straight. The top is 2'x4',and weighs a ton. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Blog Entries
    Will this be a job site table? If not, I'd pass unless all you're routing are very small pieces. Anything like raised panels or moulding will require some sort of support in addition to the very small usable area on the table.

It looks like a third of the 330 sq in is behind the business end. If this is for shop use I think you'll spend as much effort getting a support structure set up as you might building a table. My $.02
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler