Thread: titan 640ix

titan 640ix

what kind of reversible spray tip shoul I use to paint the extirior of a home? will appricite your help anybody's help

Typically, at least for latex, most painters will use either a 515 or 517 sized tip for exterior use.
    Peter Lyon

someone in this forum recomended a 413 tip size for exterior homes but Iam not sure about that

Well, let me put it this way, in the 300-400 homes that I've sprayed latex on, I've always used a 515 or 517. IMHO, a 413 would be too slow (only an 8" in fan) and would probably clog up a lot with that small of an orafice (sp?).
    Peter Lyon

Wink

Now Peter, for someone who uses "Mr Hanky" as their avatar, you should surely be capable of spelling "orifice".
    Last edited by Kristian Wild; 09-15-2006 at 12:48 AM.

I was the one who said a 413 tip. I've done it MANY times--it's my job. The advantage it has over a 515 or 517 is that the overspray is greatly reduced. If you're painting wood siding, you still have to back-brush anyway to make sure you work the paint into any texture/grain. Depending on the paint, I might use a 415. The trick to reduce tip clogs is to tape a paint strainer on the intake tube of the sprayer and pour a thin layer of water on top of the paint in the bucket the sprayer is drawing from.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Just goes to show there's plenty of different ways to skin a cat. I must confess that you're the only painter I know who uses that small a tip. Perhaps its a regional difference?

For interior work, I gone as small as a 311 but this makes the pump work way to hard if you're going to spray any significant volume.
    Peter Lyon

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon
    Just goes to show there's plenty of different ways to skin a cat. I must confess that you're the only painter I know who uses that small a tip. Perhaps its a regional difference?

For interior work, I gone as small as a 311 but this makes the pump work way to hard if you're going to spray any significant volume.
    Actually, not many guys spray exteriors around here (lots of vinyl siding, for one). We used to have to price like we weren't going to spray, then ask for forgiveness instead of permission. Like I said, it's much less overspray, which means much less prep/protection time. It's also far more control.

A 311 tip is for trim work. I like a 415, 515 or 517 for doors, and, depending on the amount to be sprayed, a 521 to 525 for interior walls--that's not very small anymore. My best is 70 gallons of primer with a very worn 525 (probably more like a 531) in about 6 hours.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore