Thread: Making progress

Making progress

Well I am new to the forum and have been posting about the progress as I learn and grow. In a previous post I mentioned that a local granite company gave me pallets and pallets of scrap they had. In an effort to repay them something I took a piece about 18 x 10 and etched their company name in a nice font for them. I dropped it off this morning and told the owner I appreciated his willingness to let me just have the extra. He called me about 3pm this afternoon and asked me if I would want be an outsource for his business. As the story unfolds he took the piece I gave him in the morning and cut it down to just the size of the name I put on the granite. He placed the newly cut piece with the etch on his counter and every customer that he worked with today asked about where and how much he could get things on their granite....

It is great to fill a void and make a few bucks at the same time... This should prove to be great filler work......

Doug
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Blog Entries
    As long as you can support the size (and weight) of the piece they want, you're golden.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One thing you will get hit with is the differant colors of granite. The laser does not work well on all granites.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Blog Entries
    Meh, color fill that bad boy and you'll be good

No not really.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stokes View Post
    No not really.
    Care to elaborate?

Some granites have a large mica content. This will give differant engraving depths. When you try to color fill that you get a very splochy fill. Depending on what you use for your color fill. Also some granites will not show a color fill because of all the other colors in the granite. To make those work you have to make an outline around the engraving on those with either a black or white fill or your lettering will never show up.
    In the monument shops when they engrave a tombstone they pull the stencil for the letters on the inside, after that is etched and color filled that stencil will go back over the lettering. You then pull the stencil for the outline, blast it then color fill with the contrasting paint. That is the only way you will get readable lettering.

Blog Entries
    Good point about the mica... that would certainly have an effect.

If the fleck is not too large it's use able, some scrap stuff I have picked up have big flakes mica or quartz in the surface. It etched poorley, and paint won't even stick to it.. This is about the largest fleck I have had decent results with..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it