Thread: Is it quarter sawn or rift?

Is it quarter sawn or rift?

We are having a discussion (argument) at work about how quarter sawn is cut from the log. At this web site on popular woodworking http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1043 , is a picture showing how quarter sawn and rift sawn are cut from the log. Is this correct or are they backwards?

Brian

It looks right to me.

My understanding of quartersawn is that the wood is cut at 90° to the annular rings and that seems to be what they show.

It looks right to me. With rift cuts the rings are at approx 45* and QS they are at approx. 90*. A lot less yeild cutting QS, my sawyer won't cut it unless you buy the log.

Joe

Here's a link. QS actually wastes LESS wood if done properly, but takes more time.

<a href="http://www.frankmiller.com/Quartered_Rift.htm">Quartered vs. Rift Sawn</a>
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Here's a link. QS actually wastes LESS wood if done properly, but takes more time.

Quartered vs. Rift Sawn
    Thanks Jason,

All the sawyers arond here that I know of said there's too much waste QS'ing logs that it's not worth doing. Now I know "The REST of the story". (Paul Harvey) The only QS they get is when they flat saw the center of the logs.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    Thanks Jason,

All the sawyers arond here that I know of said there's too much waste QS'ing logs that it's not worth doing. Now I know "The REST of the story". (Paul Harvey) The only QS they get is when they flat saw the center of the logs.

Joe
    You should print out the Frank Miller explanation and SHOW them how to properly QS! It would be nice to get more sawyers sawing some pretty wood instead of just doing it the quickest way they can.
    Jason

requires circular, methinks

t'would be hard to QS with a band mill. hmmm...

b

No, Brad, it would not be harder just more time consuming. I must confess that I did not know the proper way to quarter saw until I saw Jason's post. I sure wish I had known that back when I was running my band mill. It is embarassing to see how much ignorance I have labored under for all my years.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Brad, just by looking at the FML description, the process that jumps out at me is that once the log is quartered, each wedge is passed thru on alternating flat sides--rotated back and forth 90deg between passes. That is where the extra expense is incurred--the time/labor spent flipping(spinning?) the log back and forth.
    Jason

Question QS instructions?

I did not see a way to QS on a band mill on the link. To do it on a band mill I think you would have to square the log first, then quarter it so you have a flat side to put down while you run it through the saw and spin and flip to cut at 90 degrees. This would lose several inches off the widest boards.

Now if you could only get a band mill that ran up and down like a circular mill. Curcular mill = big kerf = waste

Unless I'm missing something
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Jason, draw lines around that "quarter sawn" log. After about two boards off each 1/4, it appears to me that you have rift sawn stuff.

David

How can it be?

If you look at the pictures on the web site that Jason has shown, they are opposite of the pictures on the popular woodworking site are they not? So one of the sites have to be wrong, right?
    Brian

Quarter/rif

I have run a Wood-Mizer for about 18 years now. During that time I have quarter/rift sawn thousands of board feet of wood. According to Bruce Hoadley who wrote Understanding Wood, the terms quatersawn and rift sawn are used interchangeable for wood with the growth rings 45 - 90 degrees to the surface. In one place he says that rift is closer to 45 degrees.
    I have developed a refinement of the quarter sawing technique suggested by Wood-Mizer when I picked up my first sawmill. It is not as simple as either of the diagrams linked above and changes slightly depending upon the log and the desired finished product.
    It is more time consuming to saw this way.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

This is a scan of a sheet of paper I've had for a while. It's from an old book on furniture making. thought I'd include it just in case those website links die.

4 = true quarter sawn or radial cut log.
    3 = majority of quarter sawn lumber where many boards don't have annual rings at 90 degrees to the surface
    2 = Billet sawn
    1 = Plain or flat sawn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 10-12-2003 at 9:18 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

clarification

i missed the alignment in earlier graphix - didn't realize that a log was actually quartered (as in draw an X on the end, cut in half twice, then make boards out of each quarter). Glenn's scan cleared that up.

a slightly interesting aside - we visited Old Sturbridge Village in Mass a few years ago ... they had a waterpowered sawmill. it was a reciprocating saw, not a bandsaw or circular - kinda like a giant jigsaw. extremely interesting to watch them saw with it.

b