Thread: Poly, shellac, and nitrocellose lacquer question

Question Poly, shellac, and nitrocellose lacquer question

Is it ok to put a coat or two of shellac over poly for the color effect, then finish it with nitrocellose lacquer?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott, it is my understanding that you can seal almost anything with dewaxed shellac, and I always use it before nitrocellose lacquer.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Thanks Cecil!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott,

You can seal your finish with dewaxed shellac and coat with Poly and the finish will be just fine. I'm just confused as to why you'd want to topcoat poly with lacquer since you already have a finish that's hard and usable.

Normally, it's shellac as a seal coat, tint/color coat then topcoat with Poly, more shellac, or lacquer. Hummmm, I've never tried topcoating poly with NC Lacquer. Now you got me wondering.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis - I'm building a solid body electric guitar....first one. I've read that NC lacquer is the preferred finish for a heavy gloss look. I used a polyshades to "fix" a staining color issue on the front. I'd like to use a garnet shellac for the effect of the hue over the "salvaged" color, then I thought I'd go for the depth and sheen with the NCL. If that's not the best approach, I'd certainly change tact...guess that's why I'm inquiring, b/c I really don't know what's best at this point.

Thanks for any pointers!

Key here is to work through the complete finishing schedule on scrap before committing it to the final project.

Edit: I must have been zonked last night after 4 days of sailboat racing (including 3 nights of sailor's partying.)

Lacquer isn't a good idea over oil-based varnish (Polyshades) until it has been well cured. Otherwise the strong solvents in the lacquer could cause nasty problems.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 09-18-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Someone suggested using Waterlox Original High Gloss over the poly instead of shellac. Anyone have comments or opinions about how well that will work?