Thread: What do I need to get started turning pens?

What do I need to get started turning pens?

Hi all,

I think I'd like to try my hand at some pen turning. What is a good way to start? I see that the Woodturners Catalog has a starter kit which includes the mandrel, bit, trimmer, polish, hot stuff, and mechanisms and blanks for 5 twist pens for 69 bucks.

Is this a good place to start or should I buy things separately (in which case I'll need some help)

Thanks
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Bill,
    I'll try to answer this the best I can, as I have never turned a pen but went to Rockler today and bought the stuff to make one. What I bought was

Mandrel kit
    7mm bushings (for the mandrel kit, should come together, but don't)
    7mm pen kit (two kits)
    7mm drill bit
    pen blanks (cocobola)
    bottle of "Hut" hardening/polishing stuff

I don't think I left anything out all this came to just over 25 bucks. As I was told there are different size pens/ pencils, the guy told me that the 7mm is a good place to start. So what ever size of pen you do make sure you get the right size bushings and drill bit.

Hope this helps, Doug

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    Hi all,

I think I'd like to try my hand at some pen turning. What is a good way to start? I see that the Woodturners Catalog has a starter kit which includes the mandrel, bit, trimmer, polish, hot stuff, and mechanisms and blanks for 5 twist pens for 69 bucks.

Is this a good place to start or should I buy things separately (in which case I'll need some help)

Thanks
    The very basic needs would be pen kit(s), an arbor, a mandrel, bushings(unique to the kit), and necessary drill bit (recommend parolbolic bit) .

There are 2 different size mandrels for pen making. I believe the starter kit you refer to above is for the 7mm Slimline style pens.

I wouldn't buy a starter kit which includes things like hot stuff, polish, trimmer and blanks. The blanks you can make easily from scrap material you already have around the shop. No need to waste money on pen blanks, some of which you will destroy (happens to most starters).

My suggestion would be to call Jim at Berea Hardwoods (1-877-736-5487) and he will fix you up with what you need (no more, no less) for a better price than anywhere else.

For finishing supplies I recommend a bottle of Hut's Crystal Coat and Hut's high gloss wax stick.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you're considering trying pens! It's a lot of fun!

That starter package from Craft Supplies (The Woodturners Catalog) will not steer you too far wrong. They have good kits and a good mandrel system. Their pen mill is also considered a good one.

Ken's suggestion of calling Jim at Berea is also a good one. This is what I did when I started with pens. I still use Berea's mandrels, and think they are great! They also make very nice kits there.

Even PSI (Penn State Industries) has a starter kit. What you'll find is after you turn pens for a while, you have favorite stuff from each of the suppliers. The important thing is to get started! And please feel free to ask questions if you hit a snag! I also recommend a visit to the Yahoo Penturners Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/).

Good Luck!

Scott.

I, too, bought a 7-mm kit, mine from Penn State. I'll likely never use the 7-mm mandrel again, though someone one day may want a slimline pen that would require it.

I second Ken's advice to speak with Jim at Berea Hardwoods. To deal with the woman who answers the phone there requires that you know exactly what to ask for. Jim can offer more helpful advice to beginners and make sure you're billed correctly.

He'll also steer you toward the Screw Cap pens rather than the snap-closed-type Flat Top/American Style, which is good advice. The snap-closed are a little finicky to adjust, and repeated attempts can damage the plastic adjuster.

Also, whatever you buy, make sure to use the mandrel with a live tail center. I used mine at first with a fixed center, and it melted while my 13-year-old son was trying his first pen. A friend with a metal lathe fixed it for me, but my son still feels he broke one of Dad's important tools and hasn't been back to turning since. Live center, live center.

Those pen blanks get very fragile while turning. Please let us know when you first blow one into a million pieces. That will make me feel better about my own explosive experiences.

Best, Ted

Doug, Ken, Scott and Ted,

Thanks.

So which mandrels are the best? Berea Hardwoods or Woodturners Catalog?

I too think I'd be interested in the larger size since that seems to be the rage right now. I'm not in this to sell stuff (least not for a while) but just for the fun and enjoyment of giving them away.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    Doug, Ken, Scott and Ted,

Thanks.

So which mandrels are the best? Berea Hardwoods or Woodturners Catalog?

I too think I'd be interested in the larger size since that seems to be the rage right now. I'm not in this to sell stuff (least not for a while) but just for the fun and enjoyment of giving them away.
    Hi Bill,

I really like the Berea mandrels used in the drill driver. They have two sizes, the "A" mandrel, which is the normal size, and fits just right for the 7mm pen kits; and the "B" mandrel, which is larger. Since Berea is the only place that uses two sizes of mandrels, they're the only game in town if you want to go with a bigger mandrel. The B mandrel is a lot stiffer because it is thicker, and that is good. The bad part is that unless you have the ability to ream out bushings so they'll fit on the B mandrel, you are stuck using only the bushings and kits that Berea has designed for use on the B mandrel. This is not that bad since Berea makes really nice kits - in other words, if you never made any pens but from Berea's kits, you'd still be making lots of great pens! But that B mandrel is so nice I've been thinking of getting into reaming out the bushings from other places so I can turn them on the stiffer mandrel. I think it would benefit the Gentlemans Pen and the Havana from Craft Supplies to be turned on the bigger mandrel.

If you're not all that thrilled with the basic slimline pen kit, often called the 7mm twist, I would suggest something like the cigar pen. It is a nice pen, using a Parker refill. They are good looking pens, hefty, and easy to turn! There is lots of wood on the pen, so you can experiment with shapes without worrying about going too deep. Berea makes a really nice chrome cigar kit that looks fantastic! And it's not that expensive, either. Another great pen is the El Grande from Berea. If you can stick to a finish other than plain 24K gold you'll be better off. Something like the chrome or the Titanium wears much better. If you're buying from Craft Supplies, their Platinum finish is fantastic, and very durable. An interesting finish is Berea's black Titanium.

I hope all this rambling is helping. Some other things I've found that can help is to pick up a copy of Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham's book on penturning. I've also found a great beginning penturning video that I wish I had when I was starting, done by Bill Baumbeck of Arizona Silhouette (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/). If you have specific questions, you can E-Mail me, or I'm sure Ken would welcome an E-Mail as well.

Good Luck!

Scott.