Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which cordless drill to buy?

which cordless drill to buy?

I have a Dewalt 12V that I really like. I also have 2 cheap 18V that I'm going to throw away (live and learn). I want another like the Dewalt 12V. I'm a hobby woodworker so no job site stuff. There are some new ones out there so I'm wondering if there is something I might like better than another Dewalt. Keep it below $150.00. What about the Bosch Impact Driver? What is the difference between an impact driver and a cordless drill?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick de Roque; 09-17-2006 at 6:25 PM.

I've switched from PC to Bosch.
    Better balanced, batteries come out, go in easier.
    Plus the fact if you buy the models with the Blue cell batteries, they have a 3 year warranty. [Have to fill out the card and send it in though]

Rick,
    I've used several of the major brands and I like the 12V M-force Makita the best. The Dewalt XRP would be a close second. Both of these will be up around or slightly above your cost limit but they have better batteries and gears. The long and short of it is that most of what's available from the major brands are pretty good. The batteries alway seem to be the main issue with any of them.
    Rob

Buy a Dewalt 12 volt impact driver and then you will have two great tools that share the same batteries and charger. You will get two more batteries and another charger with the new tool. Impact drivers are especially good for driving screws fast and more easily than using a drill/driver.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I love my 12V Dewalt impact driver. In addition to driving screws with it, lately I've been using an adapter that lets me use 1/4" drive sockets on it for other types of work. I'll probably consider getting a Dewalt drill with matching batteries at some point. However I really like the idea of the new Bosch 10.8V Litheon driver. I think for 99% of the stuff I do it would work fine and runs only $129 at Amazon.

Link to Amazon

Rick,
    I would take a look at the Bosch 10.8V Pocket Driver (Model PS20-2). I was looking at it at one of the Big Box stores today. It sells for around $130. Don't let the small size turn you away. It is built solid. The main reason I would recommend it is that the battery is a lithium ion. It has great capacity and will hold a charge much better than traditional NiCad. It can also be recharged many times more before replacement is necessary.

I have both the 14.4 v Mekita drill and impact and both work very well I have had great luck with Mekita cordless tools my old 7.2 and 9.6 stuff just keeps going and going.

Fein

I bought a 14V Fein drill when they were on sale at Coastal Tools. Unfortunately, Fein no longer sells the 14V drill. I am impressed with the Fein drill, and in particular the way the chuck works. When the drill is stopped, the chuck will not turn. I makes it easy to change bits since all it take is a firm twist and the bit is loose and out, or locked in. Coastal is now carrying the 18V Fein drill-driver kit, but it is priced at $259.

The next time I am in the market for a cordless tool, I am going to check Fein first, then the others.
    Best Regards, Ken

Personally battery construction and replacement cost are the main factors to me. Most leading brand tools are so close in performance that is not longer a major factor. However there is a wide range of differences when looking at batteries.

Batteries on a cordless tools will eventually fail, what is it going to cost to repair or replace them is now what I look at.
    Some batteries cases are screwed together and can be easily rebuilt others are glued and cost of cutting into the case and rebuilding is nearly the cost of new.
    Which bring us to the other factor replacement costs. If you need to replace the battery, if they can't be rebuilt becasue it was lost or it was dropped or something, what is it going to cost you buy another battery.

I got a Makita 5 tool combo with three batteries, today to replace the three batteries costs me what the combo did.
    Battery costs are all over the board Ryobi 18v batteries are $20 to a high of $150 for 18 volt ion Makita batteries. With Ridgid they have free battery replacement for life.

I'm not going to buy a cordless tool anymore that the battery cost nearly what the tool, charger and two batteries did to begin with. Either the battery cost is going to be reasonable or have free replacement.
    Ed

Thanks for the help. The bosch looks interesting.

Rick

I have the little Bosch in the pictures above. comes with two batteries which charge in 30min and reportedly last for 150 screws. I didn't drill with mine yet but screwing works fine. Very handy, light, comes with a nice holster, too. I wanted Li-Ion because my NiCd driver was always depleted when i needed it. check the review on Tom Hintz's site.
    Good Luck with your choice
    Timo

12. Piggybacking on this thread...
    I have a 14v dewalt that is about 4 years old or so now, i want to pick up a second driver/drill to have one for pilots and another to drive screws. Any reason to think i should upgrade to 18v? I am planning on building some stud walls to refinish basement space over the winter and to build a deck in the spring/summer. Will it be worth it to have the extra power when that time comes around?

Thanks,
    Dave

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Makita 14.4
    Great stuff, I have 4 of themIncluding an impact driver.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Blog Entries
    I've been running a DW 9.6 for years and have yet to feel underpowered so I save the weight and size. My Makita 9.6 is twice as old and still running on the original batts. Both are very nice units.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm partial to Makita and having just 1 battery charger.

Chris (a sucker for a drill on sale)