Thread: Screw plugs - odd size needed

Screw plugs - odd size needed

Hi All,

I have some screw holes that need plugs. I have drilled and assembled some bed rails for an upper bunk bed and realized that when I drilled the 3/8" countersink hole using a spade bit in my drill press, the resulting hole ended up larger than 3/8" because the spade bit had more 'wobble' in it than I thought.

My delimma now is the 3/8" plugs I bought are too small for the holes, they fall right into the hole.

I think the 1/2" plugs will be too big. Is there an 'in-between' size plug or plug cutter that will work here? Or another suggestion from the collective wisdom of the creek?

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Linc

Linc,

What if you make the hole bigger with a 1/2" forstner bit with the flat bottom and use a 1/2" plug?

Gary K.

Use it as an excuse to place an order with Lee Valley.

Veritas® Tapered Snug-Plug® Cutters.

Last edited by Hoa Dinh; 09-19-2006 at 3:15 PM.

You could also use a lathe or your DP to turn down a 1/2" plug to fit.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    You could also use a lathe or your DP to turn down a 1/2" plug to fit.
    I wasn't going to suggest that. It seems so obvious, I was concerned I might insult him. Thanks for doing it for me.

Or, you could do the old square plug in a round hole technique. Mill a couple square blanks from soft wood slightly larger than your hole and seat with a mallet. Neanderthal method.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    I wasn't going to suggest that. It seems so obvious, I was concerned I might insult him. Thanks for doing it for me.
    Link looks like a young man. He probably doesn't have as much ‘sperience fixing screw-ups as us older farts!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips guys. I've got several options to try now, think one of 'em will do the trick.

And you're right Bruce, it hadn't occured to me to turn a larger plug down to the size I'd need. Don't have a lathe and I keep forgetting to use the drill press like that.

Thanks again guys.

-Linc

Someone may have already meant this - pick up a 1/2 inch dowel - then sand the end down, gives more length to work at a time and then cut off as you go, one plug at a time.

Have you considered a change of tactics, such as black epoxy filler for all plug holes?

Using a 1/2in. forstner bit or a brad point bit, drill a hole through a block of wood. Center the hole you have drilled over the enlarged hole that was drilled originally. Clamp the block so it won't move. Then put the 1/2in. bit in the 1/2in. hole and drill the hole into the enlarged hole. Then use 1/2in. plugs in the hole. Sounds complicated, but takes just a few minutes.

Don't try to drill the bigger holes without the block. The drill will just wander all around the hole.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Norton
    Using a 1/2in. forstner bit or a brad point bit, drill a hole through a block of wood. Center the hole you have drilled over the enlarged hole that was drilled originally. Clamp the block so it won't move. Then put the 1/2in. bit in the 1/2in. hole and drill the hole into the enlarged hole. Then use 1/2in. plugs in the hole. Sounds complicated, but takes just a few minutes.

Don't try to drill the bigger holes without the block. The drill will just wander all around the hole.
    This is what I did. Combination of Gary's suggestion and Larry's technique got me there. Woked out quite well using a 1/2" forstner bit through a scap piece of oak, then centered and clamped this over the hole to enlarge it. 1/2" plugs fit in quite nicely then.

I originally planned to use the drill press turning the 1/2" plug down a little to fit the original hole, but couldn't figure out how to attach the plug to something to put it into the chuck. I thought of using double-sided tape or glue or ? While pondering this, I thought the above technique would be quicker.

Thanks again all.

-Linc