Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever feel dumb about asking questions?

Ever feel dumb about asking questions?

Since I've been getting into more and more "unplugged" tools in my shop (thanks a lot Zahid... ) I'm finding out just how much I'm lacking in the proper skills to work with chisels and handplanes in a well controlled manner. I've been holding off on asking questions because I don't wanna ask dumb questions since I've really been working with wood for over 30 years now and all of it has been with power tools. I'm liking the vairous aspects or working with handtools and handplanes, but I need to learn how to better use each one with more skill and control.

I guess I just need to learn to suck it up and ask all the dumb questions I can so I can learn more about working with handtools hugh.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Gosh yes but I have never been treated as being dum here, even though some of my questions once answered were the sort of doh, type that i realized had I thought about it I probably could have answered myself with some research.

Someone once told me the only dum question is the one you don't ask, so ask away I am sure no one will think the less of you for it, and besides I think some of the locals here enjoy spreading the word so to speak.

3. There's alot of very knowledgable people here. But fortunatlely they'll also very friendly
    and helpful and enjoy helping us newbies to handtools.

I think this is a wonderful forum. A great many of us have grown up using power tools and have just recently "discovered" the pleasures of using hand tools, not only the dB levels, but I am finding it is ofted quicker and more accurate to use a hand tool vs. going through all the set-up and jig building necessary with power tools! Wood shop was available at school when I went, although I opted for auto mechanics, but I don't think it is even offered any more! I'm quite thankful to have a group that is willing to share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us. So go ahead and ask teh "dumb" questions, it'll help the rest of us better understand the art!

There are some good books that have pictures which I think are excellent. Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking is one such book. The pictures show how he holds and uses various tools....very helpful. Also there are videos of him and other woodworkers...A lot is trial and error. I don't think I have ever built a piece of furniture and not learned something.....so the more you build the more you learn. Skills like sawing just take practice ....many things are best done by hand....if you have a full range of skills you can chose the best technique for the task at hand...and as stated there are many here to help with specific questions
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Dennis,
    As I tell all my students," The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked"
    This is such a valuable resource. thanks to you all. I counsider SMC to be one of the most prized tools in the shop.
    A place to go for information. The great thing is there is more than one way to skin a cat and you'll usually get every method out there from this group.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-21-2006 at 8:39 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

No such thing as a dumb question, if you don't know the answer. Avoid those who say you have asked a dumb question, they just don't want to admit they don't know the answer.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Dennis, I have always loved hand tools but only in the last two years have I had a decent shop and been able to really pursue hand tools. So I still think of myself as new to hand tools. But I will share the two (obvious) things I have learned and made the biggest difference for me.
    • Learn to sharpen your tools! (not saying you don't know how) Sounds obvious but once I finally could shave hair with my plane blades and chisels it was like a revelation. Heck it was like using a new tool! After all this time I am still amazed at what a difference that makes.
    • Practice, practice practice. No substitute for it. Did you see the photos of my dinning room walls? I had fits with my power planer tearing the grain on the wood. I ended up hand planing/finishing almost ever board that went on the wall. It was a huge job but when I got done I knew how to use a plane!
    I don't think there is any better basic advice than those two things. I am still learning to use chisels well. I am still learning to cut with a dovetail saw, but I notice the more I do the better I get.

PS Nothing against the people here at SMC! But you may want to check out the Hand Tool Forum over at WoodNet. Unlike the rest of the boards there, the Hand Tool guys are a really great group. Extremely knowledgeable. I have gained a lot of knowledge from them.

And there are several guys that are tool dealers and extremely honest. I have traded with several of them and never been cheated. One of the guys will even send you his wares on Old Tool Terms. Pay me when you get it and are happy.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 09-21-2006 at 9:45 AM.

The most important thing you need to know about working with these potentially silent tools is...keep your flesh out of the area between the cutting edge and the workpiece at all times. Any deviation in that results in the tool becoming extremely non-silent. In fact, the tool starts shouting profanity and also starts the finishing process early with a nice, red, water soluble dye. (DAMHIKT!!!)

Seriously, I learn a lot from just reading the threads here in the Neander space as well as chatting with folks who are more experienced in the tail-free world...no question is stupid!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-21-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, I can really relate to your position here. I have been a woodworker as a hobbyist since 1984 or 85, and in the business since 1993. But the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. I came up self taught reading the magazines that were available. Most of them were dedicated to power tools, and encouraged buying the latest and greatest motorized monster to cut that joint. The only mag that really addressed hand tools to any degree was Fine Woodworking, and it was so snooty that it put me off hand tools completely. It is only in the past couple of years that I have really come to appreciate the versatility of the hand tools I already owned, and to begin to build my collection and use them more.

I don't think it is inaccurate to say that I have gotten to be somewhat accomplished in other areas of woodworking. But that accomplishment does not translate into accomplishment in all areas of woodworking, and so I am not worried too much about asking questions of these neanders here. I consider myself a beginner in a lot of ways.

I have also really begun to enjoy the attitude evinced by the staff at Popular Woodworking magazine, that there is a place for power and a place for hand, and they can exist together without one being superior, morally, or otherwise.

Bill

Methinks you might be more used to the tailed tool areas where folks can sometimes get a bit rude on occassion. I used to think it was an ego thing on their part, now I think it is probably stress induced by being around all that noise and fast spinning steel.

For the most part, every handtool area I've ever frequented has been filled with the salt of the earth as far as helpful, polite, and just plane old nice folks.

So forget you ever visited those tailed tool places and ask away. If you've got a question, chances are there are a dozen or so others with the same one. We're just plane nicer folks in the laid back world of quiet tools.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Can I tag along?

Dennis, you hit my position dead on. I have been learning and learning, but I still need to know the details of proper handling and care of the basic hand tool. For example, the other day I posted a question about what planes use bevel-up.

I am a confirmed electron 'beater'. ( You never 'burn' up electrons, you just push them around in the wires. ) Even so, I still need to get down the basics from time to time, and that is where all you hand tool gents are a great resource.
    Best Regards, Ken

13. Hi Dennis--as you know and has been said, there's no dumb question. Just questions asked about things we don't know. And a lot of times, we don't know what we don't know and questions will often spark thoughts on related issues. So ask away.

Another introduction to hand tool skills are the tutorials which Harry is doing. They are practical skill builders. Consider working through some of them.

Take care, Mike

Dennis,
    I'm a Newbie Niender also and have always found that no matter how silley a question I asked, I have always gottent the help I nneded from this group. I remember the first time I tried to tune up my #5 and after sharpening it I inadvertenly intalled the chip breaker wrong and had trouble getting it to make shaving. I came here and asked some questions and these folks were able to help me out in no time. I will never hesitate to ask a question of these good folks and some day I may have enough knowledge to be able to offer some help also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Since I've been getting into more and more "unplugged" tools in my shop (thanks a lot Zahid... ) I'm finding out just how much I'm lacking in the proper skills to work with chisels and handplanes in a well controlled manner. I've been holding off on asking questions because I don't wanna ask dumb questions since I've really been working with wood for over 30 years now and all of it has been with power tools.
    Hey that's only fair pay back (or revenge whatever you want to call it) as you got me into this wood chips/shavings business to begin with. I have several books, including the Tage Frid books that you are welcome to borrow. I'll bring them along on my next visit. If you like we can pool money to rent some videos from this site. I've looked at this site several times, I am sure we can both view it with the week they allow. I am a very visual learner, and seeing someone do it teaches me more than anything else.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.