Thread: Finish for engraved wood

Finish for engraved wood

When making wooden projects to be engraved, do you typically put the finish on before engraving? Are there finishes or woods that work better or worse than others for engraving?
    JB

Finishes for Engraving

Jim,

Yes, you apply a finish before engraving. The reason is that laser engraving is a burning process and there is smoke which can be absorbed into the surface of raw wood. Just about any finish will protect the surface, you just wipe the surface with a damp rag after it has been engraved and the smoke residue will wipe right off.

If your project design requires you to engrave before applying a finish you can usually lightly sand the surface after engraving and remove the smoke damage. When you have extremely small details being engraved they can be damaged from sanding so you have to be very carefull.

I prefer to use Sherwin Williams laquer for engraved projects because the smoke wipes right off. Deft products leave a residue that requires you to use Windex on a cloth to remove the residue and it take much more time to clean the surface. I haven't used that many different types of finish materials since I have had my engraver so I don't know how each one will respond to engraving.

I usually power buff the surface of my projects with paste wax as a final step before engraving. I have also used paste wax as the only finish a few times. You can also shoot laquer over your engraved area as a final step in finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Baker
    When making wooden projects to be engraved, do you typically put the finish on before engraving? Are there finishes or woods that work better or worse than others for engraving?