Thread: New Engraving

New Engraving

I recently purchased a sample pack of ceramic tile that is specially made for laser engraving. The tiles are made in 4", 6" and 12" sizes and four different colors. The sensitive glaze turns black when laser engraved and the tiles are suitable for interior or exterior use.

I was so impressed with the results we were able to obtain. We engraved several photographs and graphics on different colored tiles. These will surely be very popular with the ladies for kitchens, bathrooms and they can be inset into projects, plaques and trophys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yowza

wow. you could really personalize a room/space with this kind of stuff.

very cool,

b

Amazing looking pieces, Keith.

I just read in our weekly small town paper that there is a new laser engraving shop in the mall at Mattoon, Illinois that does laser engraving on anything except metal. I'm anxious to see their work,
    JB

Question

Keith -

Those are pretty coll and open new realms of possibilities.

Question - Do the tiles need to be re-glazed and fired again after the laser engraving?

Ted

Laserable Ceramic Tile

Ted,

These tiles are ready to go as soon as they are engraved. Thats one of the things I like about this material, just pop em in the cabinet, engrave em and their done. No finishing, no sanding, no mess!

The price of the tiles is reasonable as well, but I have to buy them by the case. the 4" tiles come 108 tiles to a case at $139.00. The 12" tiles are sold by the piece at $11.28 each.

According to the manufacrurer they are "durable and very permanent".

I just bought a small tile saw to cut the black marble I have been engraving lately, it should be useful for cutting the ceramic tiles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Keith -

Those are pretty cool and open new realms of possibilities.

Question - Do the tiles need to be re-glazed and fired again after the laser engraving?

Ted

Another great medium ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Ted,

These tiles are ready to go as soon as they are engraved. Thats one of the things I like about this material, just pop em in the cabinet, engrave em and their done. No finishing, no sanding, no mess!
    Keith, what would be the chances of doing a mural from these tiles? Would that take too much artwork and/or being able to get the right position on the tiles to put it together? Now that would really be something to have a poster size engraved mural!

Second subject ... any luck with the cherry box? The fellow wanting asked me and I told him you were working on the artwork. He's just anxious for Christmas. Keep up the good work. I really like the laser engraving stuff.

Ron
    Thanks, Ron

Hi Keith,

Can you saw the 12" tile down or does it harm the finish?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Engraving Tile

Ron,

Corel Draw has the capability to tile a graphic and allows us to engrave individual tiles and create a large mural. The quality of the graphic is the main issue when enlarging any artwork or photograph. I expect some editing woud be required and vector conversion.

I should have the cherry box engraved this week, I will email you the UPS tracking number.

Charles,

Like any normal ceramic tile the product we purchase for laser engraving can be cut and shaped via normal techniques. All ceramic tile has round corners, when you cut it you lose the radius which isn't a problem in most applications.