Thread: 3M sanding sponge

Question 3M sanding sponge

I am getting ready to finish the "Big Desk" for LOML, I am planning on using General Finishes Polyacrylic as the finish and the manager at my local woodcraft cuutioned me against using any metalic steel woll between coats. I stopped by the local Borg to pick up some synthetic but they don't carry it. I did pick up some of the 3M sanding sponges at 400 Grit. Has anyone used this on this type of application. This is my first time using a water based clear finish so I'm sailing in uncharted waters for me.

I much prefer to sand between coats rather than use a steel wool substitute. Sandpaper--320 grit is good--does a much better job of knocking down dust nibs. (A gentle touch with a scraper works well, too.) I'm very surprised that any of the borgs wouldn't carry the synthetic pads. (Woodcraft undoubtedly had some too, but likely at a much higher price.)

The sanding sponge ought to work fine. The 400 grit is as fine as you should go, but not really too fine.

The caution about not using metallic steel wool between coats of waterborne finishes is correct.

Sandpaper on a rubber or other cushioned bottom sanding blcck is much preferred for between coat sanding. One of the objectives of between coat sanding is to flatten the surface. At least half of the "professional" appearence you see on top notch tabletops is due to the flatness of the surface. 320 sandpaper on a sanding pad will give you the fiatness and maintain it between coats. Abrasive pads will conform to an uneven surface and never flatten it.

You can use the 3M pads but regular sandpaper on the sanding block will still work better.

Don't use steel wool anywhere near a waterborne finish. The steel shards will stick into the finish and later rust as you put on more coats. Not good.
    Howie.........

I buy the pads from Enco. They are usually on sale especially in volume (by the box). http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM

FYI

Wes

Don, I keep a couple of old sanding sponges that I have glued velcro to the flat side. It makes it easy for me to change paper to different grits between coats.
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

The new 3m paper sponge he is talking about is not like the old sanding block sponge. It's more like a really thick cloth I have used it on both of my turnings that I did on my Dad's lathe and while the piece is on the lathe I really enjoyed using them because of their flexibility, and they didn't fall apart, fly out of your hand or get hot like regular paper, I was not that impressed when it came to using it by hand. It is definately made to not clot like the others though.