Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sometimes you must cry

Nick - sorry he wasn't able to pull through. I feel for you.
    Use the fence Luke

Not more I can add that hasn't been said, but after going though three dogs already I can feel the pain you must be, I still tear up when I think of it.
    Have a good cry and try to think of all the good things you've been though, and if your like me, you'll have a few more cries.

Al ...who hopes dogs go to heaven, because it'd sure be lonely without them there..

I, too, know what you're feeling. We buried our companion of 16 years over ten years ago and still miss her.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

My best thoughts go out to you and your wife. I know the pain you must be feeling. You did a brave thing.

Nick, you did a brave thing and he will never have to suffer again. I have to believe ya'll will see him again.

Hang in there...............

Rodney

My heart goes out to you and your family Nick, its hard losing such a devoted companion and friend. 8 months ago the wife and I had to make the same descission with our black lab Oreo thats her in my avatar. It was tough but something we knew we had to do. I still find myself looking for her under the oak tree she liked to lie under. Heres a link I'm sure you will find some comfort in, I know we do.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

I am sure Oreo greeted Gregor at the Rainbow Bridge.

Another link you may be interested in.

http://www.petloss.com/

Run with the wind Gregor!
    Last edited by Bryan Somers; 10-03-2006 at 9:11 PM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Nick, I'm sorry Gregor didn't make it. I see Bryan posted a link to the Rainbow Bridge. I've said this before to others here. Make a file in the computer, something like, 'Remembering Gregor" and everytime you think of something funny or neat that Gregor did, or was involved in, type it in to keep. Most of our entries were one liners that spurred a memory, usually a vivedly visual memory. It helps in the healing process. And who knows, one of these days, there may be the patter of puppy feet in your household again, and you'll marvel at both the differences and the similarities the new one has to Gregor. That's the way it should be. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Nick,

I have a lump in my throat reading this thread. I am so sorry for your loss.

Greg

Rough EXTERIOR soft interior

well nick i just done reading of your loss, i too have been there and while reading of the others as well as your comments i had to reply. i had lost a an old freind a few years ago and took the stiff upper lip approach no more pets it was to hard to loose them. but i went away on a hunting trip and came home to new arrival that hated men he wasnt what i wanted to see and then afterwards i softened and he grew to like me. the wife had acat that i wasnt always pleasent too when it was younger, then i again softened and let her in as well they both played together and had there times. last year i had to put the cat down and the dog missed her as much as the wife did. so after period of no more cats again stiff liped attiude i consented to another.. just last night they were both playing together as though they both the same critter. took turns licking each others face and then run and play some more. that and many other times they have given us many great memiories and have made life as we humans see it definatly more enjoyable.. the past pets will never be forgotten!! but like john wayne once said if you fall of the horse, get back on and ride agin. look for another and he or she will help fill the void that has been made recently.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Very Sorry for your loss...

I to had to put down our family pet a year ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and he took his last breath in my arms. I cried like a baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You did a tough, but brave thing for your loved one.

I've gone through this with 2 boxers and the first one really troubled me. I had the problem of him being very sick but not dying, just suffering in my opinion. I hung on for about a month too long and knew it after I did the right thing for my best pal. "Rowdy" was 9 1/2 years old.

My 2nd boxer "Taffy" was very tough, but at least I knew when it was the right time. She was 10.

We now have 3 boxers. Just rescued "Dyno", a 6 month old to go along with "Titus Maximus" (5yo) and "Marcus Aurellius" (3yo). The pain of losing "Rowdy" almost kept me from getting another one but I am very happy that we kept going.

My point with all of this is that you have done the right and noble thing. It is our responsibility to make these decisions for our companions when the time is right.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will always have the memories in your heart of the joy that he brought to all of you.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

12. Thumbs up

.... You know, God gave us, as humans, domain over animals. But when it comes to our pets, this is a responsibility some of us do NOT care to exercise. Brad is right, Once you realize there is nothing more that can be done and the animal is in pain or their function is greatly curtailed no matter how much you love them you have a responsibility to them as their loving family. I too have held on longer than I should have as I think back over the years about some of my loving pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kimbrell
    I've gone through this with 2 boxers and the first one really troubled me. I had the problem of him being very sick but not dying, just suffering in my opinion. I hung on for about a month too long and knew it after I did the right thing for my best pal. "Rowdy" was 9 1/2 years old.

My 2nd boxer "Taffy" was very tough, but at least I knew when it was the right time. She was 10.

We now have 3 boxers. Just rescued "Dyno", a 6 month old to go along with "Titus Maximus" (5yo) and "Marcus Aurellius" (3yo). The pain of losing "Rowdy" almost kept me from getting another one but I am very happy that we kept going.

My point with all of this is that you have done the right and noble thing. It is our responsibility to make these decisions for our companions when the time is right.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will always have the memories in your heart of the joy that he brought to all of you.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I thank everyone for replying to my post. I have learned many things over that last few weeks. What I thought was most important is now not. I now understand that my family, wife and daughter are the most important. I of course new this before but we tend to take so very many things for granted. I will never forget holding my dogs head, petting him and telling him that everything will be ok while I put him to sleep forever. I am still trying to convince myself that I did the right thing, and I know I have. Something very strange for me as I treat dying cancer patients every single day. As I put Gregor to sleep, I remembered every time that I should have taken him for a walk or played with him instead of cutting the grass, surfing the net etc. This is the most painful thing for me. I will never let this happen again. Maybe this is what I am to learn from this experience. All I know is that my next dog will be a very hapy camper indeed.

Once again,

Thank you all for your compasion

Nick

Dear Nick, Please don't be wishing you could have done better. You're a good man who obviously loved your dog and you treated him well. You did the best you could and made a hard decision when it was needed. Remember the good times. You provided a good home for your beloved pet while he was with you. Now he has no more pain, suffering. Don't regret it. I understand....
    Jerry