Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about TOS?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Frank... who's distorting what? You said "A forum that is unknown by others is censored by Aaron's rule, it is not available except for chance finding or communication from without SMC. I have read the rule it is not clear and is very ambiguous. Many others at SMC have echoed the same complaint, the TOS is poorly written and subject to many (mis)interpretations. Relevance is censorship by those who believe they have superior insight. And that relevance is purely un-American."

I said "What more do you want Frank? You are clearly uncomfortable here because of the rule that you can't post a link. It's a simple rule that we, as a whole liked when SMC was created. It is in no way "superior insight" or "Un-American". When you go to church...do you curse because you have the "right"? This is one place that people of like mind can come and relax. Give it up Frank...Un-American...GEEZZZZ!"

So...where's the distortion? You "think" it's "Aaron's rule"...I'm telling you it's not Aaron's rule it's our rule. We...the people who helped get this SMC off the ground decided that it was a good rule. You don't like it so you take shots at Aaron. Every chance you get you state very clearly that you don't like the way the rule is written, which is a legitimate comment. When you rap yourself in the flag and make comments about being Un-American...(you do realize there are other than what you would define as "Americans" here don't you) you crossed a line that I can not stand by and watch. We, or more specifically me, (not just Aaron OR Keith) agreed to the rule and live by it. You, for reasons I can't understand or no longer ignore, continue to make completely irrational statements about freedom of speech...what America is all about...being Un-American...on a private forum that you are not forced to come to. And you want to talk about distortion?
    Attachment 47679Attachment 47679Attachment 47679Attachment 47679
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:24 AM.

Well said Glenn. Around the firehouse when we encountered folks with a "my way is the only way" attitude, we would always ask, "Who died and made you king?" I am always uncomfortable with people who are convinced that their way/attitudes/belief is the only way to be a "true American."
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Just for the record the last time I checked we had woodworking Members from over 21 countries. Most of our Members are obviously Americans but the list of woodworkers from countires all over the world is growing.

The emphasis here is on woodworking, not the country of origin. We are a community of woodworkers and I hope that all who join us will understand they are welcome as an equal citizen here at The Creek.

Tom, your question is valid and you should not feel bad for asking. Our TOS is very clear about linking to Public Forums but we didn't explain why. Honestly I didn't feel obligated to explain the rules in our TOS, an explanation if necessary would be better placed in an FAQ section. When you join SMC it would take hours to read the rules if each rule had to be explained in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    ...The emphasis here is on woodworking, not the country of origin. We are a community of woodworkers and I hope that all who join us will understand they are welcome as an equal citizen here at The Creek....
    Thanks Keith - as one of the unAmericans it is nice to be reminded that all are welcome here.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Thanks Keith - as one of the unAmericans it is nice to be reminded that all are welcome here.
    There was a poor choice of words as regards our international make-up used in the post which illicited this response.

But perhaps this kind sarcasm would be best avoided.

Take care, Mike

Mike,

I didn't get the sarcasm from any of the previous comments. I took the unAmerican term to mean people who were not American citizens. I can't stress enough how fortunate we are to have so many cultures represented here, the combined talents of so many people from all over the globe is amazing. To say that the world is a smaller place is an understatement, here it is the size of a computer screen.

Very Cool!

We're glad to have you here, Ian! I didn't see any sarcasm there--just a little play on words. Perhaps you're proud to be something other than American--not because you dislike Americans, but because you grew up and live across the Pond.

Maybe I'll just say that I'm glad to be here as an unEuropean.

Frank, are you losing sleep over this? Let it go. So what if you can't link to other forums--it's obviously not just about content because it has been explicity stated that virtually everything to get you somewhere else EXCEPT a direct link is allowed. It's not censorship--that is something that only the government can exact.

(I'm putting the bat down and backing away from the horse now...)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

8. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    I didn't get the sarcasm from any of the previous comments. I took the unAmerican term to mean people who were not American citizens...
    I of course do not know Ian's intention behind his words--I can only go by how I too read something.

Please note that not all sarcasm is ill-willed and that is not how I took Ian's statement. Sarcasm outside the US is often something other than what we as Americans take it for.

Take care, Mike

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic but it was maybe just a bit too smart alecky - maybe not quite the behaviour of an English gentleman

FWIW I try very hard to resist putting any ethnic or national group in one lump with any specific characteristic. I guess I was just trying to reinforce Keith's point that this place is bigger than any single nation and all the better for it.

Jason - I am proud to be something other than an American - mainly I try to be proud to be a human and let all the other smaller subdivisions look after themselves. I have lived in six different countries and visited about 3 times as many again. Everywhere I went all the people were human!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barley
    Everywhere I go, all the people are human!

That would make a kewl sig. Ian.