Thread: Help

Question Help

I encountered something today and I'm not sure what to do to correct the problem. I ran a couple of jobs this morning with no problem, then I tried another job which ran fine for the first few lines then all of a sudden the image jumped about 2 or 3 inches to the right and kept running. I stopped, cleared and resent the job, same thing but with a slightly different movement of the head, perhaps 5 inches this time. Stopped, shut down and restarted both computer and laser, same problem. Tried cleaning the encoder strip, seemed to have actually made things worse. Any one have any ideas on what else I may try???

Thanks,
    Steve

Almost forgot, it's an Epilog Legend 24EX 60 watt, 2 years old.
    Last edited by Steve McKee; 09-28-2006 at 7:07 PM.

If the encoder strip is clean it could be that thin ribbon cable that runs across the top of the encoder strip on the bar. Per Epilog when I called them once with a similar problem if the encoder is clean you can try reversing that cable, if it then works you need to order a new cable.
    That was for the legend 24tt though. Make sure that after cleaning the
    encoder strip is dry.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The strip may be clean, but the LED and pickup could be dirty. Can you get to the module and run a piece of tissue through it?

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Thanks to Joe and Mitch for your suggestions, and Rob at Used Lasers for speaking to me on the phone. I tried everything suggested with no luck and have therefore ordered the encoder strip, pickup and ribbon cable. Now just have to wait for UPS to show up and start the process of elimation.

Back in business

I have to buy a lottery ticket, my luck is changing. Received all 3 parts from Epilog, figured I'd start with the easiest of the 3 to replace, the cable. Took the old one out, put the new one in and everything seems to be okay now.

Steve