Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flask

Flask

I finally cracked the code with the Cermark. Thanks for the help guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daryl Barberousse; 09-30-2006 at 1:32 PM.

Looks nice Daryl. I haven't attempted Cermark yet but I know the day is coming. Any tips you'd care to share?

Steve, thanks for the compliment. Not sure that I have anything new to pass on regarding the cermark. I believe that mixing to the right consistancy is important (close to 1:1 ration...but waterlike) as well as applying it to the material. I used an airbrush and was very happy with the even coat that was applied. I fiddled with the speed (left the power at 100% @ 600dpi) and found that a speed between 10-20 worked best for me...the slower the speed, the fatter the line.

Everyone is right when they say this stuff sticks. I can imagine the only way to remove it is by using a sander or grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Barberousse
    I finally cracked the code with the Cermark. Thanks for the help guys.
    I tried engraving flasks like this and had a hell of a time. The arch caused only the top to be in focus and as the image engraved down the sides it became blurry. Any tips? Also how many watts is your machine?

The flask looks great Daryl. Just curious as to why you didn't try the spray can Cermark? Also, who is a good source for flasks such as the one shown?

Quote Originally Posted by David Sabot
    I tried engraving flasks like this and had a hell of a time. The arch caused only the top to be in focus and as the image engraved down the sides it became blurry. Any tips? Also how many watts is your machine?
    David, I tried to keep the logo toward the center of the flask to prevent the image distortion. I have a Epilog Mini 35w.

Dave, I went with the cermark paste because I have an airbrush. And due to the cost of this "liquid gold", I have more control with the airbrush vice a spray can. I've had a couple dozen flasks stored for the last couple of years. I initially bought them to cover with leather. I can't remember where I purchased them.

I get flasks similar from a company called Kingstar in California:

P.O. Box 7814
    2461 W. 205th ST., Suite B102
    Torrance, California 90501
    Tel: 310-320-8082
    Fax: 310-320-4532
    http://www.kingstars.com/flask.htm

The model # is 825 (not shown on site) and I was paying $5.50 per piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Chase
    The flask looks great Daryl. Just curious as to why you didn't try the spray can Cermark? Also, who is a good source for flasks such as the one shown?
    I use the liquid in the bottle too. I heard that the spray can version gets
    clogged up easily and also seems like you'd be wasting a lot more of it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I've been through ten or fifteen spray cans of Cermark and yes, it does clog up regularly. The trick seems to be store it on its side and shake way longer than seems necessary. Also, rinse the nozzle completely when you are done.

I’ve also tried the air brush method using a cheap Testor’s external mix air brush. Don’t bother with the cans of propel, they will get cold and drop in pressure. Use an air brush compressor, or if you are like me and overkill is a good thing, use a 4HP 40 gallon compressor with a good regulator set to 30 PSI or so.

I have manual focus and set the focus at halfway around the curve if that makes sense. That way the high part will be a little close and the low part will be a little far rather than the low part being way to far out of focus.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Michael,

I had a guy ask about doing some silver plated flasks and I passed on it.
    Just not that confident about cermark on a curved surface with something that valuable that could be ruined.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I agree Joe, not alot of silver plated stuff I want to experiment with.

12. Cermark

I have also had good luck with stainless stell flasks with an airbrush and pate cermark.

I have had some problems with certain coated silver plated materials.
    I too have gotten a little discouraged with this because I have a gift item sort of store and would like to keep carrying these items because they are very nice. Unfortunately I have ruined some of them, and am now carrying only the ones that I know work well.

As far as the focus, I do what the other person does and focus at the middle of the lowest part. If some of it doesn't engrave right, then I reapply the cermark, break the text apart and engrave only the selected text one at a time, and refocusing when necessary for that certain letter.

Barb

Okay....here's the trick question....what would you price this as?

Does anyone have a source for LASER engravable flasks? Maybe with an anodized aluminum exterior? Something I don't need to use Cermark on.

Oh.....and it needs to be femine.....pink would be great!

Just had a thought.....what about a plain stainless steel flask with laserlights? Think that would work?
    Last edited by Steve Clarkson; 06-06-2009 at 8:20 PM.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve,

Let me know if you find any of those. If interested I found some leather bound flasks: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ture=Product_1
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC