Thread: SMC clock (Resolved)

SMC clock (Resolved)

I've been noticing that the time indicated for postings is off about 20-30 minutes. (Well, MY postings at least--that's all I can personally vouch for.)

Just wondering if someone might need to "set the clock."

(example: the time indicated for this post is 11:42 when in fact it is 11:14.)

No. That's by design. It's part of SMC's master plan to stay ahead of the rest of the world.

You're looking up a dead horse

This subject has been brought up numerous times, but it falls on deaf ears. It is a simple problem to fix by running the NTP(network time protocol) program under Linux. It is possible to set up the ntp pgm to reference multiple time standard sites for that extra measure of accuracy and reliability.

One response, as I recall, is that the time references are not reliable and that they come and go. I am sure that the NIST in Boulder Co. and/or the Naval Observatory would like to know about their problem.

Heck, even M/S has a time of day function based upon getting the correct time from places like time.nist.gov.

BTW, the physicists in Boulder are working on a Cesium Fountain Clock that will be accurate to 1 second in over three Billion years.

In the mean time, get out your wind-up alarm clock.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 10-10-2006 at 12:04 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    No. That's by design. It's part of SMC's master plan to stay ahead of the rest of the world.
    But....but....but Rob, if the clock says 11:42 when I'm posting a message at 11:14, aren't I behind the rest of the world?

Ken, I tried to find time.ntis.gov and I only got one of those Cannot Find Server thingys. Apparently the world--as well as the dead horse--is in far, far worse condition than either you or I realized.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,

I'm aware of the time issue and it just isn't a big deal to me. I ran an Internet Service for ten years and I know about time syncing to the atomic clock as well.
    We used to do the sync deal many years ago, when we made our living running servers. Now that we are volunteers there are so many things to do and so little time after the day job workday, then work that needs to be done at home, it is rare these days that I can get any woodworking done anymore

When the grass quits growing I will reset the SMC clock, I should pickup at least 3 extra hours per week then

Can't say it ever worries me - most of you guys are at least 5 hours late to the party anyway - except Stu who is a rather unthoughtful 8 hours early.

Doesn't bother me.
    Clocks in the house, shop, computer, are never together around my place.

Looks like Keith didn't have enough coffee this morning.

I like the wonky time thing.

Everytime I notice it, I'm reminded of Bluto and D-Day synching their watches just before the Farber Day Parade.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Doesn't bother me.
    Clocks in the house, shop, computer, are never together around my place.

Looks like Keith didn't have enough coffee this morning.
    Steve,

I was just being a bit sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    Ken, I tried to find time.ntis.gov and I only got one of those Cannot Find Server thingys. Apparently the world--as well as the dead horse--is in far, far worse condition than either you or I realized.
    Hi Mark, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

The NITS time standard is alive and functioning. From my poking around, it appears that the site only responds to time-of-day queries. That is to say, only the TCP time-of-day port is working. Thus, if you set your Windows XP internet time update to point to time.nist.gov, windows will keep the correct time based upon a time query every week or two.

It also helps when I put in the correct URL name: time.nist.gov.
    Best Regards, Ken

The clock has been corrected. It hasn't been more than 15 mins off in over a year.. didn't notice it got out of whack.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Thanks Aaron, I was wondering why I was always late for dinner . Dick B.

Where did it go tho' ?

When I was in the Navy , they were fanatical about correct timing ..
    What I wonder is where do the lost seconds go ??
    I mean if its fast , you gain a few seconds of life , if its slow , you lose a few seconds ..
    I dont want to lose any seconds .. Need all I am allowed ..

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    The clock has been corrected. It hasn't been more than 15 mins off in over a year.. didn't notice it got out of whack.
    Hey, Aaron! Thanks for fixing the clock!!! I haven't slept for days. Now I can get some rest. [big yaaaaawn.....]