Thread: Box Elder Jackpot gloat

Box Elder Jackpot gloat

One of the storms, over the last few weeks, took down a decent sized tree at the end of my neighborhood. I couldn't tell what kind it was because it was at the edge of a wooded area. This is a public area that is basicaly in a flood zone. So today I'm driving home and I look over & what do I see - neatly cut logs with a wierd looking stain on the inside of them I said to myself -self I think that's spalted box elder. I hustled home changed my clothes & got my truck & drove over there. Sure enough there are probably 15 or 20 logs about 20" diameter by about 20" long all cut down & neatly stacked by our friendly municipal works dept. & they all have the gorgeous red box elder staining .

I started trying to load them in the truck but on the second one my back gave me a warning - so I drove back home & got my ex BIL to help me & I got 3 more. Noah, Jim anybody - ya want some spalted box elder?? Besides the stuff that's already cut up there is about another 5' of the tree that they didn't cut down. Anybody local that wants some let me know.

It was just yesterday that I replied to a post by Doug that Ineed to get my hands on some of that box elder
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Yes...if you can get me a hunk, I'll be most appreciative! Of all the turning stock I have in "inventory", I don't happen to have any box elder...

BTW, the red markings aren't "spalting" per se; these stains are caused by an insect that likes those trees to the best of my knowledge. But there could also be spalting in the wood, besides, if there had been any cracks to let in moisture, etc. If so, it's important to wear a dust mask when working with the wood, especially when sanding.

Good score!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom, if you can, get it all! It is really nice to turn..........whether it has the red staining or not. Most, but not all have this staining to some degree. You can always take a Sunday Cruise and drop some by my place............I will make sure I am home to show you where I would like it stored. Congrat's on the Box Elder Score..............justifiable Gloat for sure!

(Your Horticulture Lesson for the day: The Red Streaking you often see in Box Elder Wood is caused by a Fungus that is introduced to the Box Elder Tree by the Box Elder Bug. The Box Elder Bug strongly resembles a "Lightning Bug", and they are know for swarming and getting into homes. It is not uncommon to see the entire trunk section completely covered by these insects. There is also a rather large insect that bores into the tree, that is why you often see rather large holes in the wood. The adult stage of the larvae is a flying insect that resembles a large Wasp..........about the size of a Cicada Killer Wasp. I actually have one of these critters on my workbench...........he was flying around my shop after crawling out of a section of Box Elder. I will post a picture of this creature over the weekend.......quite impressive Insect.)
    Last edited by Kevin Gerstenecker; 10-16-2003 at 7:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yes...if you can get me a hunk, I'll be most appreciative! Of all the turning stock I have in "inventory", I don't happen to have any box elder...

BTW, the red markings aren't "spalting" per se; these stains are caused by an insect that likes those trees to the best of my knowledge. But there could also be spalting in the wood, besides, if there had been any cracks to let in moisture, etc. If so, it's important to wear a dust mask when working with the wood, especially when sanding.

Good score!!
    Colombian Timber beetle, I've done quite a bit of research it's the same beetle that causes damage in other maples, not the ambrosia beetle. I posted this on another board and got a mixed response but had the website to back it up. Palmer wanted me to do an article for the AAW Journal but it never panned out. Yes Boxelder is a maple (Acer negundo)

Anthony

Bowls from Boxes?

Tom,
    Is that what you have on your mind?? This turning thing has you going in circles. (I'd put a smiley face here but they never stick for me)

You seem a bit too bashful. Just call and we'll load up both of our trucks.Do not worry, I don't plan on anything but flat work for the forseeable future.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    (Your Horticulture Lesson for the day: The Red Streaking you often see in Box Elder Wood is caused by a Fungus that is introduced to the Box Elder Tree by the Box Elder Bug.
    Thanks for expanding on this! I had it in my mind that a creature might cause the staining via introducing a fungus similar to the insect that produces the ambrosia maple effect in other forms of maple, but wasn't sure. (I believe that the latter is actually two types of fungus...one that lines the tunnel and one that serves as food, but I could be wrong about that)

At any rate, Box Elder is awesome to turn.
    --

You guys are all bugging me

I knew it was caused by a bug - I just figured if it was a stain from some biological occurance I'd call it spalting. Hey I barely made it out of high school what can I say

I'm going to try & get another load tomorrow - I just finished anchorsealing the first load. I don't see being able to turn all that I'll get, in the near future -assuming someone doesn't beat me to the rest of it. I'll seal it up & figure it out from there - Anthony - since your shoulder's healing up maybe I'll bring some up your way & play on a real lathe with it. Hate to see your lathe get rusty.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    Anthony - since your shoulder's healing up maybe I'll bring some up your way & play on a real lathe with it. Hate to see your lathe get rusty.
    If you do that, let me know...his place is about half-way between mine and yours! As long as my business travel schedule accomodates it, I'll join you. Of course, if you are going to the Woodworks2003 show in Ft Washington at the end of the month, I'll be there on Sunday--we could hook up there. ("Future gloat" - big tool coming home at the end of the day...)
    --

Hey folks, please go here, these people know more than we do.
    http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=3056003

or do a Google search for boxelder beetle and you'll find this
    http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...antre/3lg.html

I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes or start any thing but I've been turning for 10yrs and have heard two dozen different storys on how this happens. I've found that it's not the boxelder boxelder or the ambrosia beetle as some say.

Wow Tom!

Great score... I rough turned some small bowls from Box Elder a couple of months ago. I have them drying now and they have seemed to keep their shape pretty well so far.

If I were you I'd grab as much of it that you can. It sure would be a pity for it to end up in a fireplace!

Did you find this in Coatesville? If so maybe I 'll swing up that way tommorow. I think you're about 45 minutes North of me..

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    I started trying to load them in the truck but on the second one my back gave me a warning - so I drove back home & got my ex BIL to help me & I got 3 more. Noah, Jim anybody - ya want some spalted box elder?? Besides the stuff that's already cut up there is about another 5' of the tree that they didn't cut down. Anybody local that wants some let me know.

It was just yesterday that I replied to a post by Doug that Ineed to get my hands on some of that box elder
    How can I get my share

Nice score...I can't wait to see what you turn with it. I would love to get a couple hunks or so. Let me know.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson