Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a license to buy Corian?

Need a license to buy Corian?

I thought this went away. The DuPont website says that I still need a license to buy Corian.

I want to make a vanity with a 'granite' like surface, as well as other things in my bathroom. Are there any other suppliers of solid surface material that don't require a license?

-Jeff

Not sure. Last I checked, it was all licensed.
    I never pursued it. License, schooling, etc.
    So I just send my customers that want corian to the corian store.

Jeff, you may want to do a search on surfacefabrication dot com. This site has a list of solid surface manufacturers. I understood that with Corian you did need a license but am not sure that is the case with all. I am pretty sure that I could purchase solid surface material from Paxton (at least until they sold out in my area) from another manufacturer. I just don't remember which one.
    Steve

Jeffrey, I get all my solid surface from Dovae. It is in Austin Texas. They don't require a license to buy, but I don't know about warranty on the fabrication. I registered with them as a certified fabricator so I don't have to worry about that. If it's just for yourself, they would be a great place to try.
    Nice color selections,10 year warranty, and great prices. If you need any more information on them , just let me know. Best of luck.

Chris

I ran into the same thing when I wanted a slate-like "Corian". I ended up finding a color/pattern I liked from Wilsonart which I was able to buy at a local plywood & cabinetmaking supplier (with no license).
    Use the fence Luke

I can't remember whoe it was for, it may have been Vangura, you had to take their course that was $400.00 and you got to keep the top you made in the class to be able to buy it.

If this is something you may do more than once it may be worth your time and money to take the class. Also look aroung Corian isn't the only game in town anymore.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

At first I was going to ask why you would need a licence until I remembered what I did to my Mother-in-law's counter top about 40 years ago.
    Someone saw that and said " We better start licencing these guys!"

Corian does require a license. Years ago I attended a 5 hour installers school at the distributor so I could qualify. I couldn't even get pricing before I attended the school. Once I completed the school and and saw the pricing I changed the project. A 5 foot long by 3 foot wide kitchen table top was going to over $1000 for materials. If I remember right, the special glue was like $300 of the total. Also, back then if you could certify that it was for a commercial (like a Doctor's office) install it was 1/2 the price of residential installs. I use granite or marble for nearly the same price for stuff like that...joe

granite, perhaps?

I have no experience buying or working with corian. However, I have made a few hallway tables, two book cases and patio table for around our house using granite. I was suprised how affordable it was to purchase "remnants" from local stone shops. These remnants are apparently leftovers from a home building job, in which the contractor paid for the slab(s) but only took the finished counters with them; in one case the shop had two full slabs of granite left over and were open to any reasonable offer. Just a thought...

Roger

You might want to look here: stonewood.safeshopper.com they advertise corain to the public.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

One reason I mentioned Dovae is they are considerably cheaper than Corian. The quality is there but in a much more affordable package. By all means check around, you might find something closer to you.
    The main reason I ever got involved with Dovae is I got tired of seeing my customers being taken advantage of. Corian is the original inventor of solid surface, but the license is more of a way to control supply and demand than guarantee quality control. I just repaired a section of Corian countertop in a customers house.
    It was installed by a licensed installer and they did a poor job, and I'm being polite. I repaired a sag behind the stove after putting Dovae in their bathroom.
    If you do decide to go with solid surface, they now make silicone with actual solid surface polymers that will match with your countertop. It's not that expensive, especially when you consider the results. As a matter a fact I believe the company may also make it for granite, but don't hold me to that.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    I thought this went away. The DuPont website says that I still need a license to buy Corian.

I want to make a vanity with a 'granite' like surface, as well as other things in my bathroom. Are there any other suppliers of solid surface material that don't require a license?

-Jeff
    One more thought. In the class the main thing they emphasized was how the material is relatively fragile. Not heat resistant, not scratch resistant. I'd pick natural stone every time if possible...joe

Check out avonite.

Don't know anything about their policy but I have used it and it is good stuff.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

PM me... I can get it for you, or give you other local options.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Try http://solidsurface.com. You'll find b-grade and premium-grade full sheets. They also have surplus sheets of varying sizes. They sell to those without certification.