Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a license to buy Corian?

Need a license to buy Corian?

An elderly (very elderly!) friend of mine who still works in the shop every day
    created the installer class for Corian. Several years later he called DuPont
    to buy Corian direct. They asked if he had the class and was a licensed installer.
    He told them no, but I created the class to train your installers. No amount
    of explaining would change their minds. They insisted he take his own class
    before they would sell him any product.

I however did have limited success with Corian. My first kitchen was in 1969.
    I told the salesman that I had decades of experience, and despite not being
    licensed to install Corian, I did know how to install it and was aware of most
    of the quirks with installing. He agreed to sell me the Corian. The price was
    about $60 less than the product with the installation. I'm doing a shower (now
    retied and doing work for myself only) and vanity soon. I'll just do and end-run
    on Dupont and buy Avonite or Dovae.

-Max

I've seen some really nice stuff done with LG Hi-Macs, and I don't think you need any license or certification. Check lghimacsusa dot com for retailer info.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Easy, but there'll be no warranty. Check Ebay, search for "solid surface" or "corian". Or go to solidsurface(dot)com. There's a guy in Connecticut that is selling overstock. There's also a vendor in S. Florida selling a brand called "element". Element looks interesting in that it's claimed to be somewhat flexible.

Edit: I went to Ebay and checked on the "element" brand. $235 for a 144" X 30" sheet is cheap! I have no idea about the shipping though.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-17-2013 at 7:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gentleman, please note this threads is 7 years old... comments about needing the be licensed to purchase Corian no longer apply.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Gentleman, please note this threads is 7 years old... comments about needing the be licensed to purchase Corian no longer apply.
    Now you went and took all the fun out of it!!
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Dan,

To the best of my knowledge you still need to be certified to purchase 1/2" thick Dupont Corian unless you are a sign company. I believe that the dealers will sell 1/4" thick Corian to anyone.

Note the Dupont warranty is only valid if a counter top is installed by a certified technician so there is no warranty on Corian that is sold for sign fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I know I can't just walk into the local distributor and buy it. I couldn't even take the installer's class unless referred by an authorized business as of about a year ago. I presume DuPont - or perhaps their distributors - has agreed to limit the number of authorized businesses and thus competition within a given geographic area. How long that will last remains to be seen, I guess. The fabrication manual is readily available for anyone who wants it. I can certainly see where DuPont would not be willing to warranty their material unless it were installed according to their standards. There are some Youtube videos of solid surface installs that were true hack jobs.