Thread: riving knife or splitter on powermwtic 66

riving knife or splitter on powermwtic 66

recently had a bad kickback wih board ripping my hand and arm. would appreciate info etc on shark guard or ****. (understand that the **** will only fit the unisaw. I actually have both saws and need to update both with safty devices. greatly appreciate any advice in advance, dont want this to repeat.
    thanks Ken

First you have to figure out why you got kickback.
    In my experience it can be entirely prevented by using both a riving knife and a pushblock.

Of course, a guard to keep your fingers off the blade is nice also.

Shark Guard sells a 3-pack of quick-release splitters of different heights (without the guard). I have them and they work great! I've also made my own splitter out of hardwood glued into a shop-made zero clearance throat plate. That works pretty well, too.

You can't retrofit a PM-66 for a true riving knife, unfortunately.

I have a PM 66. In some 25 years I never had a kickback. The splitter/blade guard works fine. I remove it only for 'non-separating' cuts. For a kickback to occur, the stock must be first lifted up when it exits the blade. This way it gets grabbed by the top teeth that are moving back toward the operator. Preventing such 'lift-up' should go a long way toward preventing a kickback. Clamp a block of wood to the fence with just enough clearance for the sock to slide under.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

I've had a Biesemeyer B78440 Anti-Kickback Snap-In Spreader for Powermatic 66 Saw for nine years. Expensive accessory, but it seems worth the money. Well made. Snaps in and out (after removing zero clearance plate). Seems quite effective in keeping the kerf open.The toothed pauls grab well if a board attempts to reverse direction.

Hi Ken,

Like David, I have the Biesemeyer snap in spreader for my Powermatic 66. I have had it for years, and have never had a problem with it. It is very effective, and it also is very easy to remove when it is not needed. I also have the Excalibur overhead guard with dust collection. I mostly use the overhead guard when ripping sheet goods. It is very good at dust collection while ripping.

Sam

Add me to the list of bies splitter users on a pM66. It was over $100 some years ago, but it works great and comes off quickly as required, glues back on just as quickly so I actually use it. Highly recommend. That and a good push block.

thanks all for info . now somewhat confused as to which splitter to use Biesermeyer 78-441 or Shark guard, or boark riving knife . anyone used any of these please advise. thanks in advance Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cowart View Post
    thanks all for info . now somewhat confused as to which splitter to use Biesermeyer 78-441 or Shark guard, or boark riving knife . anyone used any of these please advise. thanks in advance Ken
    Ken, I went through all the research you are doing, and ordered a BIESEMEYER 78-441 splitter. I just wish it had fit my saw, but in my case the blade would have hit the mounting bolt and the bottom of the permanent receiver. I had ordered from Mike's Tools, and Mike treated me well and refunded my money.

I think the space is so restricted that the variation in Powermatic casting and machining means that some 66 saws just will not fit the BIESEMEYER splitter. In my case it would have taken too much grinding in a restricted space to make that option attractive to me. If it will fit in your 66, I would use the BIESEMEYER splitter. For me the next best option was the shop-built zero-clearance with a carefully located glued in splitter.

THANKS Paul for the info on the78-441. Is there any way of knowing whether or not it will fit before hand. I think
    this saw was built 1982, according to the serial #.I really appreciate your input and help.

Ken I don't know if there is a way to tell if the BIESEMEYER will fit other than just ordering one and trying to install it. My saw was built in '98, so hopefully your saw doesn't share this issue. Delta now owns BIESEMEYER, and so calling was no help whatsoever in my case as the Delta phone staffers did not seem familiar with the product line. Mike @ Mike's Tools was more help than Delta-BIESEMEYER, so it might make sense to contact him.

PAUL Thank you very much . I will do that. also look into SHARKGUARD OPTIONS AND GET MORE INFO ON BO-RK RIVING KNIFE.
    KEN

Ken,

The serial number on my saw indicates it is a 97, 97 being the first two numbers of the serial number. The splitter works great.

Sam