Thread: David's Kitchen part three (w/8 pics)

David's Kitchen part three (w/8 pics)

Evening all,

I have not had much time to work on my kitchen of late, we had a DeWALT day at work two weeks ago and of course, last weekend was the Woodstock woodshow. Those two events ate heavily into my ww'ing time.

I did sneak in a little time here or there to work on the face frames, and tonight I finished building them.

A shot of some dressed poplar just ripped and about to be crosscut to length,

The rails and stiles are 1-3/8" wide, except for where there is an end panel covering a melamine side, there the stiles are 2-1/8". The stiles overhang the edge of each cabinet 1/8", this make installing much easier. Also, why strive for a "perfect" fit, when you can allow for an overhang that give a little fudge factor.

Next shot is just making the pocket holes in the ends of the rails,

As I said in a previous post, I was lucky enough to be able to borrow this electric Kreg Forman pocket hole machine, but even the basic $29 pocket rocket will get the job done.

My math was giving me some trouble, so I decided to dead reckon the rail measurements for one face frame, the Kreg right angle clamps came in handy,

I used the Kreg bench clamp to hold the joints together while I ran the screws in,

In a perfect world, this would be mortised into a large assembly table, but even with the way I was using it, life was much easier with it.

Once all the face frames were build I glued Kreg plugs into the holes,

Here is an overall shot of the seven cabinets and their face frames,

Maybe this weekend I will get the face frames sanded and start painting them.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him.

Here is an overall shot of the seven cabinets and their face frames,

Maybe this weekend I will get the face frames sanded and start painting them.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him.[/quote]

Very pretty, David. They look a lot like the cabinets that my David built in my kitchen--white melamine with wood face frames. What are your doors going to look like?

By the way, why pocket holes instead of #0 biscuits? With the biscuits, you don't have to plug holes. We also biscuit the faceframes onto the cabinets. No failures yet, after 4 years.

Also, just out of curiosity---why fixed shelves? The adjustable ones are so versatile. Mine are also of the while melamine with a strip of oak across the front--no edge-banding necessary.
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 10-05-2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird
    By the way, why pocket holes instead of #0 biscuits? With the biscuits, you don't have to plug holes. We also biscuit the faceframes onto the cabinets. No failures yet, after 4 years.

Also, just out of curiosity---why fixed shelves? The adjustable ones are so versatile.

Nancy,
    David gave the reason for fixed shelves in one of his prior posts on his kitchen. If you search for the threads he's started, you'll find it. Oh never mind, here it is... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43099
    Basically, if you never move the shelves, why bother?

...art

Hi David, Thanks for posting the pictures. It's a shame that real work has to get in the way of our big projects for the home.
    take care,
    John

Looking good David.

Wondering why you fill the pocket holes on the face frame when they do not show

Great work David, and Steve, thanks for asking the same question that occured to me! LOL

Jay

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Smokin Dave, Great info.
    Thanks.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird
    Very pretty, David. They look a lot like the cabinets that my David built in my kitchen--white melamine with wood face frames. What are your doors going to look like?

Also, just out of curiosity---why fixed shelves? The adjustable ones are so versatile. Mine are also of the while melamine with a strip of oak across the front--no edge-banding necessary.
    The doors are going to be a fingernail profile rail and stile. The panels will be 1/2" MDF raised with a 15 degree strait panel bit.

I used pocket holes rather than biscuits because no clamping is required. This kitchen is a tune up to replace the gross and falling apart one I have now. I hope to sell this house within a year and move on.

I am using fixed shelves because it is easier and stronger. Some of the spans are large and are sagging in my current cabinets with adjustable shelves.

Take care,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Wondering why you fill the pocket holes on the face frame when they do not show
    I guess I don't have to, you wouldn't see the pocket holes unless you stuck your head inside the cabinet.

I guess I could claim it was to make the face frames easier to finish, no paint welling up inside the pocket holes just to drip out later....

How's this, "Because I wanted to dammit!"

Take care,

David.

Not a problem with me Bud

They look great David! I am enjoying watching your process. Will you be painting by hand or spraying.

Corey